Wireless mic works through mini jack, but not XLR....any suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Wireless mic works through mini jack, but not XLR....any suggestions?

Hello everyone!!!

So, I have a Sennheiser EW100 wireless mic that works through the mini jack fine, but when I plug it into the XLR using a converter cable and turning on the XLR menu setting in the audio setup, it doesn't work, and I'm not sure why....is there some other setting I'm not aware of that needs to be adjusted? If not, then perhaps it's the converter cable, but I just bought it. It's a mini to male XLR which then goes into the camera.....and doesn't make sense why it wouldn't work.....I was hoping maybe one of you experts out there might have some thoughts on troubleshooting.

And another thing while I'm here, when I turn on the audio att. switch, whether I'm going through the mini-jack, the XLR with my ME66 external mic, or the camera's internal mic, the audio sounds beautiful and clean, and when I turn it off, the audio sounds crappy.....so I'm wondering, why would I ever want to turn it off? Why is the default off when I bought the camera? There must be a reason since it's a switch that can be turned on and off, and I'd like to understand why.....

Thanks for any advice/thoughts. You guys rock.

-sharon
Sharon Rennert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I have that same mic, and mine came with the correct cable that screws into the receiver and runs direct to the XLR input. Do you have that cable?
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Unfortunately, I don't have that cable......I bought that mic about 8 years ago, and didn't need it then.....so I have no idea where I put it, I was hoping the one I just bought would work.......
Sharon Rennert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

The MIC ATT setting reduces the effective input signal to the mic preamps. It is typically used with hot microphones and in loud venues to prevent overloading the mic preamps. If the mic premps are overloaded (too high a signal) they will clip/distort and sound bad. (Note that using the AGC setting is not the same, and AGC will NOT prevent preamp overloading.)

It is not needed or appropriate to all situations, e.g., normal speech with a mic of 'average sensitivity' thus the default to OFF.

Certain shotguns, such as the ME66, do have a high output level where use of MIC ATT is often appropriate.
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Try a different cable. There is more than one way to wire this adapter, and it sounds like you have the silent way. The Sennheiser cable is also good in that it has the screw-mount to ensure a good contact with the receiver.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You need to make sure that the end that connects to your senheiser pack is a trs connection or it won't work, made that mistake before.
Corey MacGregor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders