DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Fragment from Yellowstone Doc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/103751-fragment-yellowstone-doc.html)

Steven Dempsey September 17th, 2007 03:07 PM

Fragment from Yellowstone Doc

I'm putting together a documentary of my visits to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. It's a personal impression and mainly for my family and my parents (but who knows what I will end up doing with it) but here is a fragment from what will probably end up being around a 30 minute piece.

I used some shots from my recent trip and my trip last year. First half shot with the XHA1, second half shot with an XLH1. It's pretty rough right now but you'll get the general idea. No adapters used for these shots. Color correction and sound mix will be completed when I have the full edit done. I also may go to straight cuts for this piece, not sure yet.

http://www.pinelakefilms.com/XHA1/ye...ne_sunrise.wmv

Shot using 24f. This file is downrezzed to 720p for a duration of about 1 min, 20 secs. 98mb

Mark Williams September 17th, 2007 04:44 PM

Steven,

Looked really good. My favorite scene was the clouds over the river. I think you have a lot more than just a family project here. I saw where some cuts would be more appropriate. However, a mix of disolves and cuts might be best.

Alessandro Nucci September 17th, 2007 05:12 PM

Excellent video as usual... in your opinion, what is the main difference between our camera and the broadcast models? One of the difference is the video noise, right? And also the chromatic aberration. These are the 2 main issues of the XHA1 image in my opinion.

My last video experiment: www.alexnucci.it/hdvfilm7.zip. I call it "film" but it is just the last of a series of clips I shot to have fun and to try the camera... now I am going to shoot a video for a humanitarian organization, I will post it here if it will be good enough ;)

Alex

Peter Jordan September 18th, 2007 02:51 AM

Filtration?

Steven, did you use any filtration on these shots?

I'm distressed that I can't seem to find a polarizer / wide angle combo that works. Just wondering what, if anything, you have in front of the lens.

Nice work.

Many thanks,
Peter

Steven Dempsey September 18th, 2007 07:31 AM

Thanks Peter. No filtration used on this piece.

Steven Dempsey September 18th, 2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Nucci (Post 745778)
Excellent video as usual... in your opinion, what is the main difference between our camera and the broadcast models? One of the difference is the video noise, right? And also the chromatic aberration. These are the 2 main issues of the XHA1 image in my opinion.
Alex

Sorry Alex, your question requires a pretty elaborate answer but in a nutshell, the differences are many including quality of lens, color space, size of CCDs, etc., etc.

Alessandro Nucci September 18th, 2007 05:08 PM

Yeah I know the differences "on the paper" between the broadcast models and the prosumer cameras like the XHA1... I was wondering about the actual perceived differences in the produced footage. I know 2/3'' CCDs are better than 1/3''... but when you look at the XHA1 footage, apart from the different depth of field, can you state the size of the CCDs if you don't know? I bet you can't. The colorspace... DV PAL and HDV are 4:2:0... but also DVDs of the biggest movies and satellite broadcastings are 4:2:0 at the end of their conversions, and the colors are great, so I believe that, with the exception of chroma-key and so on, colour subsampling does not affect the perceived quality so much... so it's mainly a question of resolution, colour fidelity and persistent video noise maybe.

I'm just wondering... but I know it's a difficult topic.

Sorry of course for my horrible english :-)

Alex

Mickey Mackwan September 21st, 2007 02:06 AM

all i can say is wowwwwwwww, i think its not only the camera but one has to have a eye to what would look good. steven you have captured the sunset just a question did you use any filter ??

Jerrod Cordell September 21st, 2007 11:54 AM

That was pretty awesome. It looks like something that'd be on PBS or The Discovery Channel. Really good footage man. Did you do the narration?

Steven Dempsey September 21st, 2007 03:25 PM

Thanks guys...yes that is me doing narration.