Pre-set and green square question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pre-set and green square question

I usually shoot manual with the vividrgb pre-set. I have someone who ocassionally uses the camera who is not proficient with technical and really never will be. She does not use the camera that much and is not interested in devoting a lot of time. So be it.

She just turns the camera to the green square so if I have changed some setting it will not screw her up. The problem is the default settings are a bit flat. Is there a way to change the picture settings to something more like vividrgb when in green square mode?

Thnaks

Clay
Clay K. Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Major Player

No. Just do it in post.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Don't green box it. It makes everything look like a morgue.

Show her how to set it to "Auto" and hit a preset of choice.

1 dial and 2 buttons. If she can't handle that, she probably shouldn't be using the camera. It's just going to make more work for you.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
Don't green box it. It makes everything look like a morgue.

Show her how to set it to "Auto" and hit a preset of choice.

1 dial and 2 buttons. If she can't handle that, she probably shouldn't be using the camera. It's just going to make more work for you.
Auto is pretty fool-proof, if you dial in a couple of things yourself first. Set gain to manual, 0 dB, and choose your prefered camera preset. Switch the OIS on in the menu. I imagine you'll want to switch white balance to auto, likewise audio-level and auto-focus. So long as you trust your friend not to fiddle with the switches on the left-hand side once you hand the camera over, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Contributor

I have a similar friend who can't comprehend camera controls and shoots on auto. It works about 95% of the time for him. The only thing I did was to crank down the auto iris about half a stop. Its default is too hot.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders