DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   condensation at sea (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/104014-condensation-sea.html)

Gregg Havens September 20th, 2007 07:03 PM

condensation at sea

I just got back from a cruise and found a problem with condensation. Several times I had a problem with an temporarly non-working camera. Both times I had left the tape in the camera and went from an air-conditioned space into the outdoors. Both times I had to wait about an hour for the camera to allow the tape to be inserted. Hated to miss the sunset I was trying to shoot. And sitting on a wall in the sun the other day was not much fun.

Has anyone found a way to make the transition from conditioned space to a humid environment with little delay?

Eric Weiss September 20th, 2007 07:20 PM

Hah! Man, I feel your pain.
I shoot a lot of tropical destinations and resorts.
Condensation was a huge problem for me.

What I do is keep bags of silica gel in all of my cases.
I wake up about an hour earlier than needed and put the
camera in a plastic bag with the gel outside on my balcony/patio..then go back to sleep. obviously, i wouldn't do this at some flea bag motel, but you get the idea. one hour, plastic bag, silica gel while the cam gets used to the temp.

John Miller September 20th, 2007 07:55 PM

You will likely achieve the same results without the silica gel since, as you rightly suggest, the key is to let the camera reach thermal equilibrium with the ambient environment. Once that is achieved, water vapor in the atmosphere won't condense onto the camera.

Might save having to hump silica gel around - especially through airport security.

Jim Montgomery September 21st, 2007 06:03 AM

Try an electric blanket. Has always worked for me.

Jim

Michael Wisniewski September 21st, 2007 11:21 AM

Just had this same problem in the Philippines. I ended up assigning one camera to the air conditioned rooms, and one for outdoor use only. We debated turning off the air conditioner, but summer heat & humidity in the Philippines is brutal.

Gregg Havens September 21st, 2007 01:14 PM

Thanks for the ideas

I suspected that maintaining or getting the camera into thermal equilibrium would do the trick. I'm glad I learned of the problem on vacation and not "on a job". I suspect that if I had used my Pelican case (lots of insulation) on the trip I would have lessened the problem. Once again thanks to the DVIN readers.

Gregg

Don Palomaki September 22nd, 2007 05:54 AM

If the camcorder is colder than the dew point of the air you are in you will get condensation. No way to avoid it other than keeping the camcorder warmer, giving it time to warm up, or perhaps using an underwater case and trusting that the lens opening will not present a problem with condensation on it