SutterSpeed Probrem on my A1, HelP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Major Player

SutterSpeed Probrem on my A1, HelP!

This the second time in a wedding that end up using one of my A1 cameras in Automatic mode after loosing the feature of shutter speed shooting in manual mode .
In the two different times (same camera unit) I start using the camera as normal and after a while the shutter speed wheel does not want to respond. I always use the manual mode on my recordings and the problem is that I don't know why after a while stays in the last value used and the wheel is not responding or changing the shutter Speed value. instead is giving a "red lock" sign at the top left corner of the LCD screen. Even turning off the camera for a couple of minutes still with same problem. Then after shooting next day it works fine.
I have the felling that could be something in the camera software. I don't found anything in the manual that shows something related to this issue.

I'm doing something wrong?

Have you seen that "red lock" sign at the top left corner of the LCD screen before?
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jose.......

From my manual and just checking the camera itself, the only "lock" message available on the A1 (in Record mode) on the left hand side is the "exposure lock" (E.Lock) which appears 2/3 s the way up from the bottom of the screen, which means you've hit the EXP. Lock button on the bottom left edge just behind the Shutter speed dial.

This is, however, only activated when using Tv or Av modes (of the manual modes) but it does not activate in full Manual.

So, given it will not engage in full Manual, you must be using one of those modes, and there is nothing "red" about it, it's white (at least on my camera).

If it happens, just press the button again, it will disengage.

CS

PS. When pressed, the button locks the exposure settings shown in the viewfinder at the time, and thus stops the camera responding to either aperture or shutter speed controls. Very handy under circumstances when, tho' shooting in Tv or Av mode, you are temporarily prepared for the picture to lighten/ darken during a pan (for instance) due to varying lighting circumstances, thus giving a more "real" feel to the footage. Very usefull little button.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; September 22nd, 2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Inadequate explanation.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
PS. When pressed, the button locks the exposure settings shown in the viewfinder at the time, and thus stops the camera responding to either aperture or shutter speed controls.
Hi Chris. I think this is not accurate the way it reads. With Exposure Lock pressed, it's only the Auto shutter (Tv mode) and Auto iris (Av mode) that are locked. You can still adjust iris and shutter just like in full manual mode.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ortiz View Post
This the second time in a wedding that end up using one of my A1 cameras in Automatic mode after loosing the feature of shutter speed shooting in manual mode .
In the two different times (same camera unit) I start using the camera as normal and after a while the shutter speed wheel does not want to respond. I always use the manual mode on my recordings and the problem is that I don't know why after a while stays in the last value used and the wheel is not responding or changing the shutter Speed value. instead is giving a "red lock" sign at the top left corner of the LCD screen. Even turning off the camera for a couple of minutes still with same problem. Then after shooting next day it works fine.
I have the felling that could be something in the camera software. I don't found anything in the manual that shows something related to this issue.

I'm doing something wrong?

Have you seen that "red lock" sign at the top left corner of the LCD screen before?
What you are doing wrong is accidently hitting the shutter d lock. The A1 has a feature called shutter d lock which stands for shutter dial lock. It's there to prevent accidental movement of the shutter wheel during recording, and by default I think it is assigned to one of the custom buttons. Anyway, simply go into the menu and disable it if you don't want it, or when it engages, simply hit the custom button that it is assigned to again and the lock will disengage, returning control back to the shutter wheel.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Hi Chris. I think this is not accurate the way it reads. With Exposure Lock pressed, it's only the Auto shutter (Tv mode) and Auto iris (Av mode) that are locked. You can still adjust iris and shutter just like in full manual mode.

Richard
Correct. It's shutter d lock, I believe, Jose is having a problem with.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Gentlemen, you are correct........

And I stand corrected.

There is, indeed, a serious flaw with regard to this in the PAL A1 manual.

A test of your hypothesis has proved that, yes, if the function is assigned to the Function Key (it is not, according to my manual, a default) and the camera is in Tv mode, then hitting the function key will, in the event the shutter wheel is turned, give rise to a flashing RED padlock symbol in the centre of the LCD screen (strangely missing from the manual - the symbol simply doesn't exist!).

Just goes to show, you learn something new every day!

Sigh.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks a lot! wow I really appreciate how fast I solve this issue.
My custom Key 2 was locking the shutter speed. It was so simple and I had a hard time with this.
Last night I had a hard time in that wedding I end up shooting in Auto the rest of the wedding.
Thanks a lot
you guys made it

Jose
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders