KATA HB-205 with the Canon XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Major Player

KATA HB-205 with the Canon XH-A1

I just bought the KATA HB-205, the main purpose is that I'm going trekking, I expect to do day trips in tropical rainforest, so l needed something sturdy yet comfortable for a whole day of walking. Secondly, I want to be able to carry it on board on flights.

I first tried the HB-207, which was both too big and too small. That is, the exterior was huge, hard to get on flights. I thought I could have everything, including tripod in the main compartment, but for that the HB-207 is too small.

The KATA HB-205 fits the requirements, well built and rigid yet comfortable for walking. It can easily be adjusted, in particular the waist belt is good. It comes with a rain/sun cover that has one side reflective, this also doubles as a reflector in the field.

As the photo show, I can fit what I need for a day trip if I know what I'm gonna do: The XH-A1, an AT-897 mic, two mic cables of different length, cleaning kit, 6 tapes, filters, head phones and a notebook. And there's still room to squeze in more. But it won't hold everything, you gotta plan a bit ahead what you need of accessories.

The Manfrotto 190XB with a 701RC2 head fits on the outside with the KATA tripod holder. It's rather clumpsy to have the tripod like that, it makes it more difficult to access the main compartment. It also means less carrying comfort as the weight is shifted away from the back. The alternative to carry it on the side will put unequal weight on the shoulders.

Officially, the XH-A1 fits in the HB-205, but I would consider removing the mic mount, after all this is not a pelican case, and the camera is exposed to some shocks and bumps.
Attached Thumbnails
KATA HB-205 with the Canon XH-A1-hb-205_xh-a1-1.jpg   KATA HB-205 with the Canon XH-A1-hb-205_xh-a1-2.jpg  

Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the HB-207 and agree with your observations. The 205 looks pretty slick configured the way you have it.

Are you able to carry the 205 on airplane flights with the tripod attached as you've shown?

Thanks!
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Plotkin View Post
I have the HB-207 and agree with your observations. The 205 looks pretty slick configured the way you have it.

Are you able to carry the 205 on airplane flights with the tripod attached as you've shown?

Thanks!
I haven't tried yet - I just got it this Saturday and took it for a walk. I don't think it is a big problem, it's more difficult to estimate the size of several items, so they may let it pass. Anyway, the tripod is not so fragile, so I don't mind stuffing it with my checked luggage - of course inside.

I will post a follow up, when I've got some field experience.

Cheers, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Field test

I have had this backpack on a good long trip. It is very comfortable to walk with without the tripod. It appears the tripod holder is for those more in need of a tripod than comfort. It is not recommended for use in crowded areas.

I ended up walking with the tripod in my hand eventually leaving it at home, but anyway, I found that a tripod was the wrong choice for wildlife, possibly a monopod would be good. In all other respects, this is a great choice.

As regards the tripod, also, I was refused to take it on a domestic flight, not over size concerns but security: It was regarded as a stump weapon (which it really is). This is not exercised consistently, I have previously carried it on. Anyway, the tripod is not fragile or worth a fortune, so if you have luggage to check, pack the tripod with it.
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders