DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   how does this sound in ext mic.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/104304-how-does-sound-ext-mic.html)

Mickey Mackwan September 24th, 2007 08:41 PM

how does this sound in ext mic....

hi just wanted to get a opinion of you pros about this specification on a mic for my camera.....i see that the shotgun has a 3.5mm plug but i hope i can get a adaptor or something to covert it to xlr, i just want something better than the camera mic would this be better ??
Specifications:
- Frequency resp: 80Hz - 12kHz
- Sensitivity: -70dB short distance / -56dB long distance
- Output imped: 1Kshort distance / 2.3Klong distance
- Dimensions: 285mm long x 22mm dia
- Termination: 2 metre curly cord cable to 3.5mm plug

Chris Soucy September 24th, 2007 09:38 PM

Hi Mickey........

I think the short answer is, erm, no.

The frequency response looks poor in the extreme, the fact that it has a "2 metre curly cord cable" (presumably tethered) is, er, less than perfect ergonomics for on camera use and too short for most "off camera" work as well.

I don't know how much that thing costs but it seems a pretty poor replacement for the on board mics. I'm almost afraid to ask what the make is.

May I suggest you go hang out in the "all things audio" forum up the page a bit and check out the myriad (mind boggleing) posts from some of the best in the business on this very subject.

I think they can put you straight.

CS

Mickey Mackwan September 25th, 2007 01:57 AM

thanks chris for the quick response...the shotgun was advertised on website of a store (jaycar) in oz. thanks for the advice i am new to this, and ready to learn from all you pros :)

David Chia September 25th, 2007 02:04 AM

get a rode NTG 2 , It is a entry mic. It is Aussie made anyway. Although it might not fit in the XHA1 mic holder, you can use the mic support that comes with it or Place some pelican used foam inside the XHA1 mic holder to grip the NT2

Mickey Mackwan September 25th, 2007 02:13 AM

thanks david, i did have a look at ntg2 and was thinking about getting it, would it be good enough to use on a wild life safari, i wanna get a mic that i can use for wild life safari .......
thanks for everything guys without your help i would have been buggin the stores and still not get the right product...

David Chia September 25th, 2007 02:24 AM

if you want a mic for wild life I'll go for the senniheiser me67 with a K6 power.

That way later when you need a normal mic you just need to switch to a ME64 to fit with your K6. It makes it a better solution in the long run.

Also get a dead cat for your mic. Because the wild is going to be pretty windy...

Don Palomaki September 25th, 2007 07:06 AM

The output impedance rating of the mic is too high for satisfactory operation the Canon.

What make/model is it?

Mark Fry September 25th, 2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 749554)
Also get a dead cat for your mic. Because the wild is going to be pretty windy...

Get more than just a simple furry cover (which is all the Rode's "Dead Cat" is, for instance), especially with such a sensitive mic as an ME67. You'll want at least a Rycote Softie or equivalent, and probably a blimp/zepplin/basket. I use the NTG-2 covered by a Rycote Softie and one extra layer of furry material from a craft shop. The extra cover is bigger than the Softie so there's about 1cm - 2cm dead air between the two. It's not as good as a real zeplin/basket thingy, but it's much better than the Softie on it's own, and its smaller, lighter and cheaper than the full basket.

Whatever you do, make sure you experiment at home before setting off on safari.

HTH

Mickey Mackwan September 28th, 2007 04:01 PM

Thanks david, don and mark
i am leaning towards AUDIO TECHNICA AT4073a hope my wife gets me a christmas present this year ;)

Don Palomaki September 29th, 2007 05:14 AM

That is a substantially better (and more costly) mic than what you originally proposed. May the giver of Christmas gifts be good to you. And if the price point is too much, you could hint for a Rode NGT-2, AT-897, etc.

Mickey Mackwan September 29th, 2007 07:25 PM

i just wanted to get a mic to replace the one on xha1 but something better than one on camera, after gaining the knowledge from you guys i realised that i should just wait till santa(my wife) gets me Audio Technica 4073a if santa has some financial difficulties i might suggest the ntg 2 or AT-897 thanks for all the info guys am really glad that i am a member of this site which has taught me all i know about cameras and video related thigs, i still have lot to learn but in time, one step at a time