A1 + adapter 35 mm, what lenses? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turin ITALY
Posts: 32
A1 + adapter 35 mm, what lenses?

I would buy a 35mm adapter (i think sgpro), but I have some doubts about the lenses to use. What lenses is better to use?

I saw some: es- canon fd: 24 mm 2.8, 28mm 2.8; 35 mm 2.0; 50 mm 1.4 or 1.8; 85 mm 1.8; 100mm 2.8; 135 mm 2.5.
thanks for your help.

Last edited by Luca Ghione; September 25th, 2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: interesting
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Disjecta
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 937
I use a 28mm f2.8, a 50mm f1.8, a 100mm f2.8 and a 200mm f4 and I find that to be adequate for most applications. A 24mm or 20mm would be nice but not necessary for me.
__________________
Try my Digital Therapy: http://www.pinelakefilms.com/digital_therapy.html
Films on ExposureRoom: http://exposureroom.com/members/disjecta.aspx/videos/
Steven Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turin ITALY
Posts: 32
24 mm is more different than 28 mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
I use a 28mm f2.8, a 50mm f1.8, a 100mm f2.8 and a 200mm f4 and I find that to be adequate for most applications. A 24mm or 20mm would be nice but not necessary for me.
24 mm is more different than 28 mm? is there some distorsion effects?
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 1,383
As an example...The 28mm lens might give you an angular field of around 75º, while the 24mm might give you around 83º.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
In 35mm still photography I always used a 24mm, a 35, and a 105 as my basic lenses. With those three I could do about anything I needed to do. Later on I got a 50mm micro, a 200mm and a 135. All Nikkor lenses.

If you use a 28mm as your widest angle, then you probably should get a 50 instead of a 35mm for your "normal." And maybe a 135 instead of a 105. I always prefer wider angles for most things.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #6
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florianopolis (Brasil)
Posts: 13
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, so don't get me wrong...
I've been reading about using 35mm adapters with the A1 for a few months now, but I still can't seem to come to a conclusion of what lenses would be necessary for shooting macro with the A1 + 35mm adapter...
I'm a dentist and my macro shots (speaking of photography here) are done with a Nikon D70 + 105mm Nikkor lens + flash... Would I be able to use the same 105 lens with the A1 + a 35mm adapter??? In case it is possible, would I get a comparable framing capability???

Again, I'm realy sorry for asking my own questions in Luca's thread, but I believe the answers will probably be of interest to some other members...

Peace,
Tiago Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
Short answer is yes, that's the purpose of the adapters--so a 105mm lens looks like a 105mm lens. But if you want macro shots, why not try something like a +1 diopter, which should allow you to zoom in all the way and get much closer to focus.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #8
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florianopolis (Brasil)
Posts: 13
Thanks Bill...

I have just created a thread and posted some pictures of what I intend to capture, so that more people can make suggestions:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...d=1#post750963

Thanks and I apologize again to Luca for anything...

Peace...
Tiago Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
The problem you might have with an adapter is light. I don't know how bright the dentist's lights are, since I'm always on the receiving end at such times. Anyway, a diopter, maybe even a stronger one than +1 might do what you want a lot cheaper (like under 50 bucks or so).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turin ITALY
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
In 35mm still photography I always used a 24mm, a 35, and a 105 as my basic lenses. With those three I could do about anything I needed to do. Later on I got a 50mm micro, a 200mm and a 135. All Nikkor lenses.

If you use a 28mm as your widest angle, then you probably should get a 50 instead of a 35mm for your "normal." And maybe a 135 instead of a 105. I always prefer wider angles for most things.
hallo, yesterday I bought those: canon fd 24mm f2.8; 50mm f1.4; 85mm f1.8 (better than 100mm f2.8!), 135mm f2.5; now i'm stying to use that with 35mm adapter. I think that my lense kit could be various and complet, or not...
thanks by Luca
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #11
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
That's a good range. With the 85, the 135 is a better longer lens. I read someplace years ago somebody shot an entire feature with an 85mm lens. I find that hard to believe, buy who knows. I don't know about Canon but Nikon used to have a relatively cheap 2X telextender you could but between any lens and the camera, with no obvious degradation of quality, though it ate a lot of light.

I've been thinking about a 35mm adapter, but I'm not sure I want to go that route yet. I have lots of old Nikkor lenses, but all of them are the slower (and sharper) lenses. I always went for sharp over fast in my still photog days.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Milan/Italy
Posts: 63
Luca, bought SGPro?
I have an M2. Usually on DVX, but from tomorrow on an XH-A1.

Se ti capita di passare da Milano vediamoci (o se passo io da Torino).
Per quanto riguarda le lenti, devono essere molto veloci e soprattutto lavorare bene a diaframmi molto aperti. Io uso i vecchi Nikkor e finisco per tenere su il 50 quasi sempre, perchè è un 1,4 e a 2 è nitidissimo. Per i Canon FD, se non lo conoscessi, questo è un buon riferimento: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/index.htm
Alvise Tedesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turin ITALY
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvise Tedesco View Post
Luca, bought SGPro?
I have an M2. Usually on DVX, but from tomorrow on an XH-A1.

Se ti capita di passare da Milano vediamoci (o se passo io da Torino).
Per quanto riguarda le lenti, devono essere molto veloci e soprattutto lavorare bene a diaframmi molto aperti. Io uso i vecchi Nikkor e finisco per tenere su il 50 quasi sempre, perchè è un 1,4 e a 2 è nitidissimo. Per i Canon FD, se non lo conoscessi, questo è un buon riferimento: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/index.htm
Grazie per i tuoi consigli ed il link; appena mi arriva il sgpro (previsto per il 15/12) inizio a testarlo. Volentieri, se abbiamo l'occasione sarebbe interessante vederci per scambiare opinioni a riguardo. Io ho acquistato Sgpro per girare principalmente corti e mediometraggi. a Presto
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cedar City, UT
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Ghione View Post
hallo, yesterday I bought those: canon fd 24mm f2.8; 50mm f1.4; 85mm f1.8 (better than 100mm f2.8!), 135mm f2.5; now i'm stying to use that with 35mm adapter. I think that my lense kit could be various and complet, or not...
thanks by Luca
Luca,

Perche hai scelto i lenti Canon invece dei lenti Nikon?

Anche io voglio comprare il LetusExtreme, e non so quali lenti di scegliere. Credo che Canon sia piu prezioso di Nikon, ma non sono sicuro. Probabilmente comprero tutti “used”.

Perdonami se il mio italiano non sia perfetto. Ormai mi sono dimenticato di quasi tutto. Abitassi in Italia per due anni – ma era piu di 25 anni fa. (1979 – 81).

Grazie per tutto.

Last edited by Will Schryver; September 28th, 2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: misspelling
Will Schryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turin ITALY
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Schryver View Post
Luca,

Perche hai scelto i lenti Canon invece dei lenti Nikon?

Anche io voglio comprare il LetusExtreme, e non so quali lenti di scegliere. Credo che Canon sia piu prezioso di Nikon, ma non sono sicuro. Probabilmente comprero tutti “used”.

Perdonami se il mio italiano non sia perfetto. Ormai mi sono dimenticato di quasi tutto. Abitassi in Italia per due anni – ma era piu di 25 anni fa. (1979 – 81).

Grazie per tutto.
Complimenti per il tuo italiano! Ho comprato tutte lenti Canon "used" perchè vari fotografi mi hanno detto che sono meglio di Nikon (soprattutto se degli anni '70-'80) e ho comprato canon fd 24mm f2.8; 50mm f1.4; 85mm f1.8 (better than 100mm f2.8!), 135mm f2.5; Io ho comprato Sgpro ma devo ancora usarlo. Saluti
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network