Getting A1 and need to match with XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Trustee

Getting A1 and need to match with XLH1

I'm buying an A1 at tapeworks Texas, and will have it on Tuesday. We shoot weddings and other events and, for ceremonies and multi cam shoots, have been using the H1 as main cam, sony FX1 as second and HV10 as third. My Sony needs repair so will be out of commission for god knows how long...
I down loaded the manual for the A1, and it looks like we shouldn't have any problems. I wanted to direct a few questions to those of you who have shot with both cameras (Steven Dempsey, Marty Hudzik,Steve Rosen, etc.).
1- I read the thread months back about matching presets from both cameras. Is there a consensus/ formula about how to convert H1 presets to A1? I see there are downloads available, but I have several of my own presets (which date back to my XL2 days) and would obviously like to be able to match both cameras.
2-I didn't see anything about Phantom power in the manual. I hope I missed it, because I can't imagine not having that feature.
3- I see that there is no full gain control switch, like on the H1. But since it has the same basic three position gain switch as the Sony, my second shooter should be ok. Bummer that you have to go into the menu, though.
4- I'd appreciate hearing about any other issues that you guys have encountered when shooting with both.
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
...<snip>...2-I didn't see anything about Phantom power in the manual. I hope I missed it, because I can't imagine not having that feature...<snip>...

Check page 11 of the manual. There is a diagram of the camera and if you look for description #15, there is the locater for the +48 Phantom power switch.
David Del Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
...gain control switch... Bummer that you have to go into the menu, though.
Don't know what you mean by that, sorry. Use the switch to activate gain, not the menu.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Trustee

David,
Thanks.
Chris,
What I meant was that it would be nice to have the same kind of gain knob as on the XL2 an XLH1. The set up on the A1 is the same as on the Sony, though, so that won't be any big change.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Major Player

I had the same issues when moving from the xl2
it is a pain, but will get used to it. One of my biggest issues is the lack of noticable rec led on the cam (like the XL has under the LCD) this only has onscreen labels which stinks when you want to turn them off.

I'm still an XL fan myself.. I've been using the A1 for about a year and I'm just now getting used to the transition.

Last edited by Michael Padilla; October 1st, 2007 at 05:11 AM. Reason: iphone :)
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders