DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Assorted how to questions..Thanks... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/104658-assorted-how-questions-thanks.html)

Bruce Pelley September 29th, 2007 10:05 PM

Assorted how to questions..Thanks...

1)How does one disable the A1's speaker so that when I connect the unit directly up to the TV I don't hear both the onboard speaker and the A1 speaker at the same time?The TV alone is quite enough.

2)Is this capable of getting a nice quality moon shot,especially one in full phase and if tried what settings did you use to be successfull?All I get is a blurry,throbbing & pulsing white-fuzzy orb with proper focusing totalling lacking.

3)How do you know what custom or factory preset is called up and being used if you can't see it on the LCD flip-out screen?
3b)What exact sequence of steps does one take to make the custom/factory preset number permanantly show on the LCD?

4)How does one restore the camcorder to all of the settings it came with out of the box so one can start again from "ground zero" if you will.

5)The white balance controls really confuses me.I don't get the differences of what does what for what reason.When is the best time to use the following,what does each do and how effective are they?
a)Automatic mode:Is it better to have it on or off and instead do a manual one?
b)The white balance presets (k,light bulb or sun icons) or/versus
c)White balance switch options "A" and "B"...

How do you put white balance to work effectively?Also,how can I best duplicate the result I get on my GL-2 by just hitting the auto white balance button on it?

Please feel free and jump in on any of the above.Thanks so much as the learning curve unfortunately continues....This certianly has many controls.

Bruce

Bill Watson September 30th, 2007 12:15 AM

The little control wheel at the back, bottom left (beside the battery door), is the onboard spkr volume control when the camera is in playback mode.

Infinity focus with ND1 or ND2. You'll have to play around with other things like gain, aperture etc.

Even Solberg September 30th, 2007 05:31 AM

As for #2 - switch to manual focus. Turn on peaking and magnification to ensure proper focus. Works fine.

Glen Johnstone September 30th, 2007 05:54 AM

White Balance...

I'll try to answer this one since it took me a few minutes to sort it out as well...here goes.

5a. The easy answer is...never. I do use AWB, though, when I am shooting single-camera run and gun and will be both indoors and out.

5b/c. OK, with AWB off, the A/B/Pre switch is the master. A and B are two manual WB presets that are defined by filling the frame with "white" and pressing the WB button.

Pre means use the WB Preset (K,bulb,sun) switch on top. The bulb is a fixed 3200K setting. The sun is a fixed 5400K setting. The K means use the Shutter/K dial to set the color temperature.

As a bonus, while in bulb or sun mode, you can press the WB button and use the Shutter/K dial to fine tune the fixed setting. The manual says between -9 and +9. The units of measure are not mentioned.

Enjoy

Pavel Sedlak September 30th, 2007 07:32 AM

re

1 Attachment(s)
ND2 is most important thing for a sharp image in this case.

automatic gain off, no NR1 or NR2 (noise reduction) in custom preset, no gain, normal gama and HDV Low and DHF 4 (in custom preset), COR 0 or -2.

what do you say to this image (XH-A1):