Unknown noise source when using external mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Unknown noise source when using external mic

Hi:

Have a weird problem, I don't know if this belong in this section or in the sound section: I have a Canon XH-A1 with AT-897. It is camera mounted, although the camera mount is not exact fit and I haven't found O-rings or other that I can pad with. The camera is mounted on a tripod.

With the built in mic, I have no problems. But using the AT-897 I get noise from an unidentifiable source. It appears that I pick up some radio, turns out to be a station at 100.10MHz. I cannot hear this source with the naked ear, only on the recording or when using headphones do I hear this, and only when using the external mic.

I made a test: First, the signal is stronger when I have headphones connected, and depends on where the cable is with respect to the camera. The signal I pick up is stronger when the head phone cable is in front of the camera and horizontal. Slightly weaker when cable is vertical. But, it also appears that signal depends on where I am, even if I don't touch the camera, and I still pick it up with head phones disconnected.

I get the strongest signal when I am in front of the camera with head phones, holding the cable horizontal.

Any idea how this noise is picked up?

Thanks, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Wrangler

How close are you to the transmitter?

Might be the result of a poor ground connection or a cold solder joint in the cable or microphone.

Does using phantom or battery power make a difference?
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry for the noise on this channel :-) this phenomena appears to be more weird and very local. Moving the camera around in the room, and I no longer pick up the radio, so it appears also to be a particular architectonic problem - I have a noisy spot, and the signal really depends on how close the headphone cable is to the focal point of this spot.

Certainly, there can be a question of lack of grounding, while doing tests at home I use the charger to power the camera. But I think it may also be a question of having properly shielded cables.

Yet, it remains a mystery how the A1 can function as an FM receiver (fine tuning, it appears they are sending on 100.40MHz), how, what should be output only, the headphone jack, can work as an antenna, and why this is only a problem when using an external microphone, this seems to indicate that some circuits are not properly isolated.
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders