DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   4:2:2 color sampling in A1 and G1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/104808-4-2-2-color-sampling-a1-g1.html)

Jose Milan October 2nd, 2007 07:52 AM

4:2:2 color sampling in A1 and G1?

Quick question.

Do both cameras sample color in 4:2:2 or just the G1 with the special HD-SDI/SD-SDI Out, Genlock, Time Code connector?

Thanks.

Steven Dempsey October 2nd, 2007 07:58 AM

The latter:

The G1 has a variety of broadcast studio connections for timecode and genlock, as well as an uncompressed HD-SDI output (4:2:2 output directly from the camera only; tape recordings still meet the 4:2:0 HDV standards).

Jose Milan October 2nd, 2007 08:09 AM

Hello Steven,

1. So the only one to be able to output to 4:2:2 is the G1 and not the A1?

2. And only if you use the HD-SDI/SD-SDI Out, Genlock, Time Code connector you get 4:2:2, right?

3. So using tape you loose the 4:2:2 output?

The thing is I usully record straight to hard disk connecting the camera to a pc or using FOCUS hard drive and I was wondering if I could get 4:2:2 this way with the fire-wire connector...I guess this is not possible?

Thanks.

Jose Milan October 2nd, 2007 08:11 AM

Hello again, sorry for the mistakes, english is not my mother language, here we go again with updates:

Hello Steven,

1. So the only one to be able to output to 4:2:2 is the G1 and not the A1?

2. And only if you use the HD-SDI/SD-SDI Out, Genlock, Time Code connector you get 4:2:2, right?

3. So using tape you loose the 4:2:2 output?

The thing is I usually record straight to hard disk connecting the camera to a pc or using FOCUS hard drive and I was wondering if I could get 4:2:2 this way USING THE A1 with the fire-wire connector...I guess this is not possible?

Thanks.

Dee Joslin October 2nd, 2007 08:15 AM

You can capture analog rgb 4:2:2 out of the A1 with a kona or some other capture card.

Firewire is HDV output.

Thomas Smet October 2nd, 2007 08:24 AM

Any form of output such as SDI, component or HDMI will be 4:2:2 but only during live shooting. The signal goes right from the camera head and through the outputs as 4:2:2. Once the signal goes through the tape or out the firewire port live it is encoded as mpeg2 with 4:2:0 color. Thats the way it is on any and every HDV or AVCHD camera.

Keep in mind however that The Canon A1 and G1 use a great form of encoding for progressive video. The 4:2:0 in true progressive encoding is very easy to work with and is very high quality even for keying. If you plan on keying interlaced video then interlaced 4:2:0 isn't all that bad either once it is displayed as interlaced again.

Jose Milan October 2nd, 2007 08:26 AM

Hello Dee,

So to get 4:2:2 I have to get the anolog way?. Can you give me a link to those cards, (I guess I can google kona and that would do it).

"Firewire is HDV output"...I guess you mean firewire is High Definition Video, but I don't understand what you want to explain, I can't get the 4:2:2 sampling out of the digital connector, that is just using the firewire??

Thanks

Jose Milan October 2nd, 2007 09:15 AM

Hello Thomas,

You clarify things a lot. So to get 4:2:2 out of the A1 is using an analog card (such as the one Dee was talking about), do I loose anything using such a card, regarding the workflow or data space as opposed of the ease of using firewire.

About the keying. Yes. I was looking for 4:2:2 since I already have a Xl1S and keying is kind of tedious and we are looking in making the step forward using HD, the pitty is that we already have a lot of investments in the Xl1s, such extra 3 lenses; MA200 and many more and found out the lenses wont work with the new XL H1!!! All that money lost.

So in between choosing to expend +7000€ for the XL H1 and start all over again we want to opt for lower price camera like the A1, right now expending 5000€+ in the G1 is too much too.

Now many doubts come in staying in Canon or changing to the much aclaim Sony (V1E), since there's no way to use the lenses in newer cameras. But which brand to choose now?

But I want to make sure I can get 4:2:2 out of the A1, but seems the only way is to buy an analog card, right?

Many thanks

Ken Wozniak October 2nd, 2007 10:32 AM

Jose,

If you're looking to record in 4:2:2 without being wired, the Canon HDV cameras will not do it. You'll need to go with at least a Panasonic HVX200 and record DVCPRO50 or DVCPRO HD to P2 cards.

Peter Jefferson October 2nd, 2007 06:55 PM

Another option is to downconvert your HDV to SD using an intermediate 422 codec, whereby 420 HDV will in turn convert to 422 SD (if going SD delivery).