DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   16:9 SD Production - Filming in HDV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/104888-16-9-sd-production-filming-hdv.html)

Jan Luethje October 3rd, 2007 03:25 AM

16:9 SD Production - Filming in HDV?

Hi,

I am producing for German tv, now my best client has finally switched from 4:3 to 16:9 acquisition.

-Does it give me a visible quality improvement to film in HDV and then downconvert to SD while capturing (my NLE can't handle HDV) or is better / safer to coninue filming in SD and just to switch the aspect ratio (with "safer" I am refering to the loss of pictures that you have, when a dropout in HDV occurs).

-Do my SD settings also apply for HDV or will I have to tweak them again, when changing the standard.

Bill Pryor October 3rd, 2007 08:57 AM

I haven't seen any drouputs in HDV over more than 50 hours of tapes.

If you're editing and delivering in SD, the only advantage of shooting HDV would be for archival purposes, I think.

Eric Weiss October 3rd, 2007 09:21 AM

I'd suggest HDV and imported as SD. My delivery is always SD, but the HDV is just so nice and far better than the SD options on the cam. I'll log certain clips and recap in HDV later for screen caps and HD b-roll. You purchased the tech, so you should really use it. Your HD content may come in use later.

I just shot about 10 hours on cheap Sony Premiums in HDV and didn't get a single drop out. I knew I wasn't going to be recording audio and wanted to put these standard DV tapes to the test. I have gotten dropouts on "better" tapes. I'm convinced that it's not the cam or the tapes that cause dropout, it's conditions.

Vasco Dones October 3rd, 2007 06:35 PM

Hi Jan,

same here: I'm producing for Swiss TV, and their doc. shows & current affairs magazines also switched to 16:9. I therefore decided to buy an A1, shoot HDV and then downconvert to SD for editing (I edit on a 2002 vintage NLE with Premiere 6.5...)
Just shot 15 one-hour tapes (Pana AMQ) for a doc. in Virginia: not one single drop, excellent quality - and the raw material will be re-usable in a not-so-distant future (I hope) as high-quality HDV.

Given the extremely low likelihood of a drop, I think it's worth going HDV
(just my 2 pennies, of course)

Vasco

Brandon Freeman October 3rd, 2007 06:41 PM

Or you can purchase a Canon FireStore and eliminate Drop Out concerns altogether. That's a move I'm hoping to make at the start of '08.

Kyle Prohaska October 3rd, 2007 06:44 PM

Shooting in HD will be better in the long run. HD to SD always looks better than just SD whether or not you think so....trust me. You watch a TV show sometimes and you KNOW it was shot in HD...how would you know that if your looking at an SD signal? Well thats because you had a picture with much more detail and just shrunk it really. I think its easy to see the extra definition you get when you go from HD to SD compared to normal DV. Its worth it.

- Kyle

Eric Weiss October 3rd, 2007 07:00 PM

Has anyone used the Canon Firestore? Are those things really reliable?
Can you also do a tape backup at the same time?

If that's the case, than Firestore + Premium tape is actually cheaper in the long run than using HDV tapes only... at least for me.

My main concern is weight, storage hours and battery life. On a typical shoot/ trip I will take 6-12 hours of footage.