Help no videocapture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 6th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help no videocapture

Videocapture has been going fine, then suddenly 1 week later the computer does not recognize my A1. I connected my old Sony HC1 without problems so it must be something with the A1. Anybody have any ideas ?

Thanks

Brent
Brent Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

First look carefully, under a light, at the camera end of your firewire cable.

Ensure that there are no bent pins or other damage.

Power off your XH A1.

Shutdown your computer.

Connect the fireware cable to the computer and the camera.

Power up the computer, wait for everything to come up.

Power up your XH A1.

Attempt to capture again.
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

did all that and still no go

I turned everything off and rebooted. Canon A1 is still nowhere to be found. My Sony HC1 is identified immediately upon connection. I also did replace the firewire cable as well.

Still puzzled !!!

Brent
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Contributor

Did you shoot anything between the time it worked and the time it didn't? It could be that you shot SD the first time and HDV the second, or vice versa, and didn't change the camera output signal settings. Or, you could have shot 24p and not have your capture set for that mode (FCP, for example, has to be set in the 1080P24 HDV mode to capture HDV 24p, and if you go to any other mode, like SD or 60i or whatever, you have to change the corresponding setups).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I haven't changed any of the settings you mentioned. I do always shoot in HD. I have shot my son's football games for the past 6 weeks and all has gone well. Then suddennly Friday night when I get home and connect the A1 NeoHDV can't find the camera. I use Vegas 7.0e and NeoHDV. Vegas also does not pickup the A1. I did reinstall Neo but have the same results. I checked the A1 manual and the A1 is setup as it should be for HDV output to the computer.

This is truly baffling !
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #6
New Boot

I had a similar problem. My NLE (Edius) didn't see the camera in VCR mode after few days of shooting. Before that everything had been going fine. I was recording in HD 25p. I tried different input settings in NLE, but it didn't help.

Suddenly I found the solution. Some day after shooting I used the HD downconversion option (HD DOWN-CONV) available in VCR mode menu just to test how it works with my HD footage. Then I forgot to turn it off...

When you have your A1 connected via FireWire the HD DOWN-CONV option is grayed in the menu and you can't determine whether it's enabled or disabled. Therefore, if you try to capture footage which is being downcoverted to SD on the fly and your NLE is set to capture HD - your camcorder becomes "invisible" because of signals mismatch.

Try disconnecting the camera and setting the HD DOWN-CONV to OFF, then connecting again.

Hope this helps in your case,
Mateusz
Mateusz Metelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Was just about to mention the same thing.

Been there, done that.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

HD DOWN CONV is off. That is what is so strange: I haven't changed anything on the camera. However, thank you for your suggestions.
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #9
New Boot

What about connecting the camera in recording mode? Does Vegas see your A1 or nothing happens at all? If so, it may be a problem with the camera itself (hope not).
Maybe try downloading a trial version of another NLE?
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm not sure what you mean by connecting in recording mode.
Thanks

Brent
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I had the same prob connecting this camera to my big desktop...
XP Pro SP1... HDV no go.. DV downconvert from HDV worked a treat with PILES of dropouts..

I then connected it to my dual core laptop running XP Pro SP2...
SP2 works a treat... SP1 however.. no go... yet.

I might go through the msdv.INF files and copy them across to the SP1 system. They have obviously been updated
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #12
New Boot

Sorry for being unclear. By connecting in recording mode I mean plugging the camera and turning it on not in VCR mode but in one of the shooting modes, i.e. auto, tv, av or manual.

The camcorder should be then recognized and the "live" image should appear in the NLE window. This is how it works in Canopus Edius, so I assume it can be done in Vegas too (I haven't ever used Vegas).

When I had the problem with HD DOWN CONV switched on (as mentioned before in this thread), my camera was "invisible" for Edius in VCR mode, but worked fine in shooting/recording mode.

Good luck!

Maybe this will help: http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=105207

Last edited by Mateusz Metelski; October 8th, 2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added link to thread
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Ok Here we go. Hooked up my Sony HC! and Vegas sees camers both on live feed and VCR. Hooked up A1...nothing. Tried turning camera on first, last, whatever...still nada.
Tried NeoHDV...no A1 to be found. Here's the kicker: Connected HC1 and it didn't show up either.

OK..back to Vegas connected HC1...you guessed it...gone nowhere to be found !

Its like this computer is haunted or something....maybe I should call those TAPS guys who look for paranormal activity !!!!!

Also computer is homebuilt..been doing this for years. I have a quad core 6600 with 2 gb memory. Everything is at stock speed...eg no overclocking or anything crazy. (not to say I haven't overclocked before..but this system is at factory specs.)

I may try a complete reformat and start from scratch as it appears I may have some kind of computer problem...PS I did swap out a core 2 duo for the Q6600 approx 1week ago...but did not reformat windows. Everything else has been working without a glitch.

Any other thoughts ??

Thanks

Brent
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Brent..............

One thing that seems to be reasonably consistant when this happens is some sort of software getting added/ loaded that for reasons totally unknown, suddenly kills the camera connect.

If nothing's been loaded between working/ not working, that's out -- although, it's worth checking the Add/ Remove software section in Control Panel to see if Windows Update has downloaded any patches in the intervening days since last working.

You can always uninstall the entire Firewire hardware in Device Manager and let Windows re - build it on re - boot. This may fix it if it's a stuck driver issue.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #15
Inner Circle

When a firewire device disappears, one first step is to restart the computer.

By this, I mean, shutdown the computer gracefully, to a full power off condition "Shutdown", not to "Standby". Then power on the computer again.

The above step is very basic in my mind. If one has a problem with firewire, and then goes into "Standby", and then powers back up, the firewire problem may still exist.

I want to be clear, the above may or may not help, but it is a good first step.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders