XH-A1 and Firestore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Major Player

XH-A1 and Firestore

I apologize for starting ANOTHER thread on this very talked about issue -- I have done the searches, feel fairly confident in what direction I will take, but I wanted to verify that I am understanding correctly the issue of Canon's 24F .m2t in relation to the FireStore products.

I am not interested in working with QT files, I work with Vegas, which works with .m2t files natively. It appears that I can save a bit of money and record .m2t streams to this FS-4 as well as this FS-C. The FS-4 is quite a bit cheaper, and I am interested in saving money of course. BUT, I want to be certain that the FS-4 will handle the 24F .m2t format without problems, WITH THE XH-A1.

I have attempted to talk with Focus Enhancements, with Sales Reps at Bhphotovideo, and have gotten conflicting reports as to whether the FS-4 can handle the 24F .m2t mode.

Are there any XH-A1 users with an FS-4 HD that regularly shoot 24F .m2t with no trouble? Or do I need to fork over the additional cash for the FS-C unit?

Thanks for your time.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Major Player

fs 4 pro will handle 24F into an mt2 stream, just not into a quicktime file. For everything else it works fine, as in a 1080 60i into either mt2 or quicktime. The fsc will likely have the most updates for canon cameras in the future.
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Stephen. Does the FS-4 HD listed on the link I posted fall into the "pro" category?
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Brandon,

The FS-4 HD is *not* the FS-4 HD Pro. However, Stephen is right. the FS-4 HD will accept the 24F stream and put it in an .m2t file. I just tried it with mine.
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Glen. When you copy over the .m2t, does your NLE of choice (I'm using Vegas) recognize it correctly as a 23.976 file? Sorry for the constant questions, but I want to be certain before I spend $800.
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Liquid 7.2 recognizes and imports the file as 23.98 fps.

I have uploaded ~10 seconds of NTSC bars and 1Khz tone (courtesy of the A1) to
http://www.diamondrosevideo.com/vide...-173407D01.m2t
(Right click, Save target as...) (34MB). How does Vegas handle it?
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Got it. Looks great!

One more question (I hope) and then I'm good to go.

A lot of what I do is film interviews that can last between 10 and 45 minutes. I've read that the FireStores break HDV clips into 9 minute segments while recording. Now, I know that it's not supposed to drop frames inbetween those splits, but I've heard of audio glitches between the splits. Has this been a valid issue, and if so, is it still?
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Contributor

I read one report that the drives are a little noisy for shooting in tight quarters, but I haven't seen that confirmed by any posts other that that one.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes, it does break up the files since it used a FAT file system. I have only done one project that required clips that long. I did not have any audio issues when it broke up the files. Either I got lucky or the latest software fixed any early issues.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you everyone! I know what course of action I am taking, now.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I own a FSC and have recorded many interviews with clips lasting longer than 9min and have yet to find an audio problem when importing into Vegas or FCP for that matter.

On a similar note, I would suggest (if you can) to hit the rec button in between questions to create a new clip which will cut down on your clip length and make editing a little easier as you'll have individual clips to look at rather than scrubbing through an entire interview.
Travis Binkle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders