DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   In camera downconvert - need it explained (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/105449-camera-downconvert-need-explained.html)

Nathan Quattrini October 11th, 2007 04:10 PM

In camera downconvert - need it explained

What does it do exactly? Does it re-record over your footage with SD? Or does it just export to computer SD from the HD footage?

My situation. I filmed in HD and want to extract a few clips for testing. I do not have the ability to edit HD yet. I can only edit SD. Is this how I would go about it? I don't want to destroy my HD footage so I can use it later as HD.

Brandon Freeman October 11th, 2007 04:16 PM

Downconvert simply transmits an SD signal through the FireWire from the HD source. No harm done to your original footage.

Nathan Quattrini October 12th, 2007 04:54 PM

Where in the manual is how to use this? Is it as simple as turning the function on?

Philippe Messier October 12th, 2007 05:08 PM

Yes, basically. It will depend of the camera of course but it should be that simple.

Philippe

Ivan Mosny October 12th, 2007 05:10 PM

In VCR Mode go to Menu - Signal Setup- HD DOWN-CONW. To change only without Firewire Cable. If set on ON - you can capture all as SD.

Nathan Quattrini October 12th, 2007 05:14 PM

"To change only without Firewire Cable"

I was a little confused by that line. You can only change it before plugging in the firewire?

Chris Hurd October 12th, 2007 06:57 PM

That's right. You need to disconnect the FireWire cable before making this and other menu changes.

Tim Ribich October 14th, 2007 08:46 PM

Downconverted

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 758163)
That's right. You need to disconnect the FireWire cable before making this and other menu changes.

How does the overall quality of such downconverted HD compare to material captured from a quality SD source to begin with?

Uh... ok, that's a weird question, isn't it. It's just that I don't recall seeing any comparative reviews of downconverted HD from the various HD cams.

Neal Reville October 14th, 2007 10:17 PM

In camera downconvert

I'm currently editing a job in Vegas 8 pro which I recorded in HD on an A1. It was downconverted in-camera as described. The quality is better than I can get from my Sony TRV 900. Now, that's saying something!

NER

Mark Fry October 15th, 2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ribich (Post 758919)
How does the overall quality of such downconverted HD compare to material captured from a quality SD source to begin with?

Uh... ok, that's a weird question, isn't it. It's just that I don't recall seeing any comparative reviews of downconverted HD from the various HD cams.

I'd say that XH-A1 footage down-converted in camera is almost, but not quite, as good as native DV shot on my old XM1. However, part of the loss of resolution that I've seen is because I've watched it played back letter-boxed on a (pretty good) 4:3 telly, so it's been squashed further to fit the screen. I expect that if you play it back on a true 16:9 SD screen you will find it very hard to spot the difference from an XM1, XL2, PD170 etc. There have been other comments around here that programmes edited in HDV then down-converted in software can look better than DV-sourced material. Of course, it depends on the quality of your software, too. I have just got a new PC capable of editing native HDV (using Avid Liquid) so I intend to try a few experiments.

Tim Ribich October 15th, 2007 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Fry (Post 759029)
...I expect that if you play it back on a true 16:9 SD screen you will find it very hard to spot the difference from an XM1, XL2, PD170 etc.

Ok, great. Yet another factor pushing me closer to jumping on the HD bandwagon. Thanks, Mark (and Neal).