In camera downconvert - need it explained at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Major Player

In camera downconvert - need it explained

What does it do exactly? Does it re-record over your footage with SD? Or does it just export to computer SD from the HD footage?

My situation. I filmed in HD and want to extract a few clips for testing. I do not have the ability to edit HD yet. I can only edit SD. Is this how I would go about it? I don't want to destroy my HD footage so I can use it later as HD.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Downconvert simply transmits an SD signal through the FireWire from the HD source. No harm done to your original footage.
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Where in the manual is how to use this? Is it as simple as turning the function on?
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, basically. It will depend of the camera of course but it should be that simple.

Philippe
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

In VCR Mode go to Menu - Signal Setup- HD DOWN-CONW. To change only without Firewire Cable. If set on ON - you can capture all as SD.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Major Player

"To change only without Firewire Cable"

I was a little confused by that line. You can only change it before plugging in the firewire?
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

That's right. You need to disconnect the FireWire cable before making this and other menu changes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Downconverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
That's right. You need to disconnect the FireWire cable before making this and other menu changes.
How does the overall quality of such downconverted HD compare to material captured from a quality SD source to begin with?

Uh... ok, that's a weird question, isn't it. It's just that I don't recall seeing any comparative reviews of downconverted HD from the various HD cams.
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #9
New Boot

In camera downconvert

I'm currently editing a job in Vegas 8 pro which I recorded in HD on an A1. It was downconverted in-camera as described. The quality is better than I can get from my Sony TRV 900. Now, that's saying something!

NER
Neal Reville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ribich View Post
How does the overall quality of such downconverted HD compare to material captured from a quality SD source to begin with?

Uh... ok, that's a weird question, isn't it. It's just that I don't recall seeing any comparative reviews of downconverted HD from the various HD cams.
I'd say that XH-A1 footage down-converted in camera is almost, but not quite, as good as native DV shot on my old XM1. However, part of the loss of resolution that I've seen is because I've watched it played back letter-boxed on a (pretty good) 4:3 telly, so it's been squashed further to fit the screen. I expect that if you play it back on a true 16:9 SD screen you will find it very hard to spot the difference from an XM1, XL2, PD170 etc. There have been other comments around here that programmes edited in HDV then down-converted in software can look better than DV-sourced material. Of course, it depends on the quality of your software, too. I have just got a new PC capable of editing native HDV (using Avid Liquid) so I intend to try a few experiments.
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
...I expect that if you play it back on a true 16:9 SD screen you will find it very hard to spot the difference from an XM1, XL2, PD170 etc.
Ok, great. Yet another factor pushing me closer to jumping on the HD bandwagon. Thanks, Mark (and Neal).
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders