DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Interview on white (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/105484-interview-white.html)

Paul Joy October 12th, 2007 02:21 AM

Interview on white

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I'm working on a project at the moment for a client who wants an web based interview shot on a white background. As it's a low budget, I decided to try and shoot in the companies boardroom against a projector screen rather than go for a studio with green screen etc.

As this is my first outing with my new light kit I really just wanted to get some feedback about exposure, setup and light positions.

What do you guys think of the results?

I have included a shot of the setup too.

regards

Paul.

Doug Davis October 12th, 2007 11:17 AM

I am pretty surprised out how good it looks... Might try playing around with the presets to make sure you get the skin tones right as there is nothing else to reference color in the shot...

Eric Weiss October 12th, 2007 11:35 AM

yeah, it looks great...but cripes on the light.
were you trying to interview him or cook him?

Mark Bournes October 12th, 2007 11:57 AM

It looks good, probably coulld have drop the iris about a 1/4 to a 1/2 stop.

Also maybe next time drop the amt. of light on the white itself, you would POP the subject a little more form the white background. Just a suggestion.

Jack Walker October 12th, 2007 12:19 PM

What small lights are you using?

What brand and model is the boom stand you are using?

Thanks!

Peter Ralph October 12th, 2007 01:01 PM

The set-up works well. Open up some footage in your NLE and check the color and exposure. To my eye it's a little over saturated and over-exposed. Also too red - vectorscope and WFM will tell for sure.

Paul Joy October 12th, 2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 758033)
What small lights are you using?

What brand and model is the boom stand you are using?

Thanks!

The small lights are dedolights, they are really nice as they come with inline dimmers and have a movable lens system allowing you to adjust the beam from wide to narrow.

The other lights used are a Lowel Riffa55 (with 40deg egg crate) and a TotaLight to flood the backdrop (along with one of the dedolights).

The boom is a manfrotto baby boom combo (420B)

The only light really having an effect on the subject was the rifa keylight. The 42" lastolight is also acting as a fill opposite. There is a dedolight back (hair) light, but with all that light comming from the backdrop this was dimmed to almost nothing, although it did still highlight the subjects hair a little.

Thanks for all the tips, this was just a test before the real shoot which will be happening over the next couple of weeks so I'll try some of your suggestions when the time comes.

best regards

Paul.

Paul Joy October 12th, 2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ralph (Post 758042)
The set-up works well. Open up some footage in your NLE and check the color and exposure. To my eye it's a little over saturated and over-exposed. Also too red - vectorscope and WFM will tell for sure.

I've yet to figure out how Vectorscopes and WFM are read, I'll make an effort to read up on using them. Any good resources on the web?

best regards

Paul.