Monitor or HDTV or PC Monitor for in field Focus Assist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Monitor or HDTV or PC Monitor for in field Focus Assist

I've read the various posts on this subject and am still not clear on one (or more) issues.

Seeing that monitors like the Marshall don't have the HD resolution and are only 7.5 inches I don't really understand why they are better (from a picture quality and not portability) stand point.

I used a $300 Samsung 19" HDTV (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN-S19.../dp/B000GVJV1C) on a shoot recently and It helped a lot in regards to focus as well as the visualization of composition, lighting etc. Am I to understand the a Marshall 7.5 inch monitor will give me a better picture than the Samsung HDTV?

I have a Dell 24" wide screen monitor that has component in as well. When I hook up the A1 I see a horizontally compressed image (due to the pixel aspect ratio). Is there a way to get this to be seen correctly? And how does such a monitor compare against a Marshall and an HDTV?

The other question I have is this. What if I were to use a 1080i HDTV? Would that be better thn the other options listed above?

I understand that a field monitor runs off of battries and can be mounted on the camera or tripod and so makes things a lot more portable. By the way, I'm not clear how or where a Marshall monitor mounts on the camera or tripod.

As you can see, I'm in so many minds. The only thing I have is my Dell PC monitor. I'd like to know what option (any other I've not listed) will provide me with the best picture quality that will help with focus assist, getting a better visual on composition and lighting etc.

How does one go about calibrating any of the options listed above.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, explanations etc.
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sorry shiv, no answer

After looking around these forums, this is the closest to my question that I could find.

I would as well like to know if there is a major drawback to using an actual HDTV as a field monitor. They are cheaper, bigger. Sure you have to plug them in, might not have all the inputs, so they won't work for every purpose. But, for joe shmo, the price is right...

Can anybody ring in on this?
Tyler Schlombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Tyler,

I eventually just bought a Samsung 21" HDTV. It works like a charm. It have an extensive calibarting capability as well. It may not be like a "monitor" but have enough control to the point where you can get it to match your "monitor" quite closely.

I've used it quite a bit. The down side is when you're in the field (field), you feel really handicaped when you're left with a tiny view finder.
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Shiv,

Thanks for getting back to... well your own post.

I imagine quite a few people use HDTV's as monitors, they just don't advertise it. Have you ever tried using the HDTV as a monitor for SD? I believe it will be grainy, but I'm not entirely sure.

I was looking at getting 2 monitors. A small one for jib moves and such. And a larger one mainly for other people to see, as I like to use my eyepiece as much as possible.

Thanks for the input.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Tyler,

I've only just begun shooting videos and only HD, but yes I'm sure SD will look pretty bad on an HDTV.

If I could justify the expense of a field monitor I'd probably go in for one just so I can be mobile.

I justified the small HDTV saying I could use it for when I need to show prospective customers my work. I transfer my edits back on tape and then use my HV20 and the small HDTV as a way to show them my work. It looks pretty incredible to say the least.
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Shiv,

I can imagine it looks great. I am still on SD unfortunately, so I guess i need to go another route. One day perhaps.

I could easily justify the HDTV... then I'd own an HDTV!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi folks,

This is the closest thread I could find that fits my question...

I've just found this field monitor by JVC:

JVC | DT-V100CGU 10-Inch Video Monitor | DTV-100CGU | B&H Photo

$690 for a pro HDTV field monitor seems a very nice price... Lots of lugging around and plugging in, but I don't mind that too much as the purpose is intended for a feature short rather than run 'n gun.

Before I sign on the dotted line, anyone ever used the JVC DT-V100CGU, or does anyone suggest any other monitor to use? In this era of LCD flat screen monitors, I'm wondering if it's best to go for one of those instead and I could mount it on my Miller DS20 sticks.

After playing around with my new A1 and the manual focus, I think I will need to invest in a field monitor of some description, albeit simply for focusing correctly in shallow DOF.

I *could* simply hook up my little 10" netbook (laptop/notebook) and download a free capture program such as http://paul.glagla.free.fr/captureflux_en.htm to view it (not that I intend to use it to capture). My netbook battery lasts 6 hours, small and light... wouldn't look very professional but... Hey, I'm doing the best for my budget here!

Thanks folks,

Chris
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:39 AM   #8
Major Player

i was wondering if a netbook would serve the purpose, but the few I've looked at don't seem to have any options for video input. Or am I missing something? - quite likely these days.
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Looking at the JVC monitor spec, I'd be a bit worried.

It says that it has a resolution of 300 lines. Is this the same as 300 pixels in the vertical, or perhaps, with interlace, 600?

It's a 4:3 format screen. So in 1080 or 720 mode, a lot of the screen won't be used, with top and bottom horizontal black bands.

It will happily accept 1080 HD input signal but I think it "down converts" that to display it.

You might be disappointed and I'd try to get to a store that has one in stock and see what it's like.

I use a Sony FX850 portable dvd player, which has an 8" 800x480 pixel screen, the battery lasts for 6 hours and doesn't need a hand cart to move it around.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #10
Trustee

I've tried a notebook and the delay is very frustrating, using FCP and Canon's monitor program there is a lag which makes focusing difficult.

My eyesight isn't great and I've tried a couple of different monitors and now have a 15" HDTV. It' a celestial brand (chinese I think) and it's quite light. I haven't tried it in the field but will be soon.
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
As you can see, I'm in so many minds. The only thing I have is my Dell PC monitor. I'd like to know what option (any other I've not listed) will provide me with the best picture quality that will help with focus assist, getting a better visual on composition and lighting etc.
Used to be anyone concerned with picture quality wouldn't go anywhere near an LCD screen, because colours, brightness and contrast aren't reliable. I even met editors who worked solely on their standard-issue Mac monitor (with unpredictable results)!

For framing and composition I capture to my laptop using Adobe OnLocation (it also has a lot of nice tools, like a waveform monitor). But if i need proper colour, brightness and contrast rendition in the field, my SD Sony monitor is better than any HD LCD screen.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I think for focus assist specificially, a cheap and large LCD monitor is perfect for the job, but for brightness/contrast/colour, I'd definitely need a proper monitor. The trouble is, they're so expensive. Which is best for HDV?

I thought the JVC would be a perfect option to address the brightness/contrast/colour issue, but if it downconverts it, even that wouldn't be a true representation of the framed shot? Anyone else have the same opinion of the JVC DT-V100CGU ? Or can anyone recommend the best 'budget' field monitor that will display correct colour/brightness/contrast?
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders