DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Switching to a lesser quality DV tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/105627-switching-lesser-quality-dv-tape.html)

Kuentos San Miguel October 14th, 2007 04:08 PM

Switching to a lesser quality DV tape

So then is it OK to say that because I use Panasonic AMQ tapes that every now and then "I could use lesser quality tapes like the Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ and my XHA1's head will be OK, just so long as I stay with Panasonic tapes. I ask only because though I purchase 10-15 tapes at a time, the only way I can get AMQ tapes is through online ordering. Where as for simple interview sessions I could use the lesser quality tapes.

Or do I still need to run the video heads through with a Panasonic video tape head cleaner each time I switch from AMQ tapes to AY-DVM60EJ tapes, and back.

Apologies in advance for a lame question.

Kuentos

Chris Hurd October 14th, 2007 04:10 PM

Why bother though. Why settle for anything less than the best tape money can buy. I mean, what kind of value are you placing on your video -- what is your video worth to you. Tape is already the least expensive component of the production chain, so why would you want to skimp on it.

Giroud Francois October 14th, 2007 04:13 PM

that is a strange logic.
why are you using high quality tape ? to make sure there are no drop ?
so a "simple interview sessions" ruined with a drop is ok for you ?
Whatever the value of what i shoot, the value of my time spent on it is the same, so i would be pretty happy to know it is safe on the tape because i take the best ones.
As they said at the NASA, "do not give a chance to the chance".

Kuentos San Miguel October 14th, 2007 04:18 PM

Guys as a journalist I totally agree with you, which why I use AMQ tapes. But in a pinch, video tape of an interview recorded on consumer quality tape is better than no interview simply because I ran out of AMQ tape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 758815)
Why bother though. Why settle for anything less than the best tape money can buy. I mean, what kind of value are you placing on your video -- what is your video worth to you. Tape is already the least expensive component of the production chain, so why would you want to skimp on it.

Bill Watson October 14th, 2007 04:45 PM

I've been using standard DV tapes since I got the A1 and haven't experienced any dropouts so far.

Richard Hunter October 14th, 2007 04:50 PM

Hi Kuentos. It's not a case of trading off image quality against tape cost, because cheaper tapes provide the same quality image as expensive ones. The problem is that cheaper tapes supposedly carry a higher risk that parts of your footage will be unusable, and it is this risk that you have to assess and see if it is worth saving a few dollars for.

Richard

Kuentos San Miguel October 14th, 2007 11:18 PM

Switching to a lesser quality DV tape

Bill and Richard thanks for the answer. I just wanted a backup plan should the need arise and find myself waiting for new tapes to arrive on the FedEx truck. However if I stay with Panasonic tapes do I need to run a head cleaning tape before switching tapes?

Kuentos

Ivan Mosny October 15th, 2007 03:44 AM

There is definitelly no need to use Cleaning Tapes if you change to other Brand.
I am using cheap Sony Premium Tapes in 6 Cameras - working every day - an i do not have any problems with drops.