DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Just purchased an XH-A1 and ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/105800-just-purchased-xh-a1.html)

Steve Clee October 16th, 2007 11:35 AM

Just purchased an XH-A1 and ...

I have a question about shutter speed..I have a photography background and have a good handle on aperture and shutter speed and how they affect exposure...

But what I dont get is this..In the video world with this new camera it allows me to shoot at different rates..60i, 30i, 24 etc etc...Are these frame rates not the shutter speed ? If so, then how am I able to change the shutter speed and still maintain these #'s..

I am obviously missing something....

Hoping someone can enlighten me...

Cheers

SC

Jim Miller October 16th, 2007 12:00 PM

yes, 60i,30f, and 24f are frame rates. you can pick one from the signal setup menu. shutter speed and aperature are controlled differently depending upon the mode you are in. ex: manual, Aperature Value, Time Value, or automatic.

Changing aperature or shutter speed has no effect on the frame rate

Jerome Cloninger October 16th, 2007 12:45 PM

frame rate is the rate the "pictures" are written to the media. For instance, frame rate for a still camera would be... well, 1 frame per second or however many pictures you can take in a second. In video, you are taking many pictures per second... 24, 30, etc. Shutter speed is entirely different and works the same as your stills do... pretty much in a nutshell.

Trish Kerr October 16th, 2007 12:51 PM

There are also 'preferred' shutter speeds for each of these formats.

60i would be best at 1/60, 24p is best at 1/48 (film look) and 30p is best at 1/60

unless you are getting into slow motion shooting or fast motion, or need to compensate for not enough light etc

trish

Kris Bird October 17th, 2007 09:27 AM

Frame rate is "pictures per second".

So you can shoot 24, 30, or 60 pictures per second.

Each 'picture' is shot with the shutter rate you select.

So you could shoot 30F (30 pics per second) at 1/120th sec per picture/exposure.

Clearly shooting 1/12th sec exposure @ 60 pictures per second isn't logical, if you do this your image will 'smear' as it duplicates recorded images. This 'can' be acceptable for static shots where you're desperate for light, such as a long shot of a city at night.

"F" (as in 24F) is a "full picture", where "I" (as in 60i) is an 'interlaced', or 'half' picture.

This means that 60i is shooting 60 'half' pictures per second. It does this by shooting Odd lines, then Even lines, then Odd, then Even... Therefore vertical resolution of each picture is halved.

60 pictures per second gives you very fluid movement, 24/30 pictures per second gives you slightly more stuttery movement. This is in many cases 'desirable', as it detatches the viewer from reality. Drama, films, etc. shoot 24 pictures per second. Motion picture film is classically 24 frames per second @ 1/48th sec exposure.

Steve Clee October 17th, 2007 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone, I am starting to get the hang of it...and BTW so far this camera is a dream..But keep in mind I am coming from a POS Sony TRV 1 ccd camera..
But boy was the wait worth it..

Thanks again.

SC