Which Preset For Music Video???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Which Preset For Music Video????

Hi Guys,

We'll be shooting a music video in 2 weeks time and I need your suggestion(s)
for presets.

There will be different shots outside around the fire with no lights. The only light for taping will be from the fire.
The other shots will be indoor with black solid background and a 500W light and a few candles.

Please let me as how you think we can achive it? by the way we are thinking of shooting it with 30F.

Thanks in advance
Matthew
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Matthew,
No one can really answer your question but you. The best thing you can do is to do a test shoot and work with the camera settings to achieve your desired look. You may want to check out the Preset thread and use some in there as a starting point but, I'm sure you'll probably want to tweak one to your liking.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Major Player

I just completed editing a music video (my first) - i started with panolook (see preset threads and used Boris continuim5 to add some contrast in the band shots - the lighting and camera set up, frame rate, shutter speed etc is the most important apsect as color balance seems to be easier in post.

Here is the video if you want to check it out.
http://stage6.divx.com/user/sheddmus...---Music-Video
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Rick,

Loved your music video very nice shots, did you use a crane?

Rick will you please share with me the Frame rate and the shutter speed that you've used for this video?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Matthew
Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for watching and for the feedback! I might post a new thread for some ideas on how to improve it. I did use a crane and as for frame rate used 24p, shutter speed of 1/48, gain of +3 db AF on and the iris all the way open. The camera does need a quite a bit of light I have found, this was a real challenge. We we used about 4k of lights and the overhead fluorescents. I used a lot of post to make it look better, more contrast, warm glow also MerCalli Steady-Cam to clean up some of the hand held shots. The idea around the fire you have is excellent, I think the A1 can do this but it might be a challange to set this up, low light seems to be needing some special tricks to achieve, especially in manual mode without using too much gain. If you have any external monitor's it will help I think, do you have any additional lighting you can add just in case you find yourself needing it?
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, first tip would be to use enough light. All of these cams look awful unless you have a good solid exposure at your target shutter rate. Never filmed a fire at night, but I'd guess that it's be too dark. Even if it was bright, your backdrops would be too low. Out doors at night really need lighting properly, if you're after a pro looking result? If it's blair witch, then that's different ;)

Kris
Kris Bird is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders