XH G1 now in Low Earth Orbit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #16
Major Player

Chris, Pete-
If I can add, from what we knew, the G1 is on it's 2nd trip (makes sense to get one successful trip under you belt before you talk about it) and I also thought they were using HD SDI on the live feeds. It's amazing when you see all the burnt pixels fom being exposed to the direct radiation on those shots. I also thought that 3 trips ago, they had an H1 but because of size and weight, switched to the G1.
I agree that if you can get through NASA's testing, then you must have a really good camera.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Will take your word for it Jim -- I'm pretty sure the one Pete refers to above is the same one that went up last October on STS-120, back when this thread first started... it went to ISS with Dan Tani, who's been there ever since. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there's another one aboard STS-122 right now.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #18
Major Player

NASA Astronauts

I personally do not use the canon cameras. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, in fact some day I might get myself one. For right now though I'm just sticking with my JVC HD-110.

However, I was watching NASA television and their coverage of the STS 122 mission yesterday and noticed that the camcorder the astronaut was using to capture HD video of the external fuel tank as it drifted awayfrom the shuttle was either the G1 or the A1 (couldn't tell exactly which one). Also, when the shuttle docked with the space station and the astronauts made their way through the docking port, one of the space station astronauts was capturing the event on one of these cameras as well.

Just thought this might be of interested to users of this cam.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

(merged Adam's post into our existing NASA thread)

Upon watching the Flight Day highlights from yesterday's docking, at different times I saw Dan Tani with a G1 and Leland Melvin with a G1, but I couldn't tell if it was the same camcorder handled by different people or two separate cameras.

However -- if you're saying there's a G1 on Atlantis, then there's definitely two in orbit right now: the one Dan Tani brought to the ISS from STS-120, and another one that just came up on STS-122.

Old February 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Has anyone managed to snag a Screen shot for fun? Every time I watch I never see one float by.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #21
Major Player

I would love for one of you guys to post a link so that I could see it... Every time I go to Nasa.gov I can't seem to locate anything...
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Best way to see it is to catch the Flight Day Highlights every evening on NASA TV. I think most cable and satellite television service providers include this channel in their basic packages... I get it through satellite on Dish Network. I'm such a space nut that I usually leave this channel on all day whenever an STS mission is flying. For some reason, watching astros at work puts me in a better mood to get my own work done (except it can get distracting at times, especially during an EVA like this morning).

Old February 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Major Player

Lol... I think I've watched every video they have online and scrutinized every one looking for the Canon cameras... : )

Lol... OOoops....

Thanks Chris...
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Davis View Post
I would love for one of you guys to post a link so that I could see it... Every time I go to Nasa.gov I can't seem to locate anything...
NASA's site isn't very navigation-friendly, is it?
This link was sent to me so I thought I'd share. If you click on "high res," you can see the G1 very clearly.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...22e007119.html
Glen Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #25
Trustee

Well done, Glen! Now I feel even better about my camera. Next time I'm told by my family that it's far too big to take on holiday, I'll show them that photo.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I did some digging and found this image.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...22e007776.html

It clearly shows 2 G1s up there. Gotta love a 2 camera shoot. Maybe they need an extra cameraman next time. :-)
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Great job finding those pics, guys!

Just so our Sony friends don't feel left out, here's a Z1 on the space station taken on Jan 15:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...16e023048.html

This thumbnail image (of Yuri Malenchenko) doesn't show it, but if you click on either the high-res or low-res versions, it's in plain view at the bottom of the page. Now what I really want to know is, how many D-SLR bodies are visible in that photo? I think I see five. Plus a Sony DV camcorder at bottom right...

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders