A-1 Optics are impressive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Major Player

A-1 Optics are impressive

Today I had the chance to video/shoot with both my DSLR and A-1.

There was a Merganser in the middle of the river behind my house...perhaps 100 - 150 yards off.

First off, I shot with my Canon 1DIIn, Canon 1.4 teleconverter and finally, my Canon 100-400 L lens at max..400 mm(for you DSLR buffs, take 1.3 camera x 1.4 converter x 400mm)....the results were clear and sharp.

Next I filmed on my A-1 at 20X.

First off, I noticed that the image on my A-1 was very sharp and appeared at least as close as the 1DIIn+1.4 converter +400 on the A-1 viewfinder.

The final images that I viewed both on my T.V. and CRT, were clear and sharp from both cameras.

That's saying something considering my 1DIIn shoots at 8 meg and the A-1 shoots at approx. 3 meg.

Kudos to both cameras but especially the A-1 considering that part of the reason I bought the A-1 was to shoot wildlife.

Next, I gotta figure out how to get more than 650 mm on my current A-1 lens...for my bird shoots.

By the way(unless I'm missing something here...wouldn't be the first time) to get the A-1's reach on a Canon DSLR, close to the far end, here's what I would have to spend...just for the lens...camera not included :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mm_f_4_0L.html

So, unless I'm mistaken, there's a lot of camera for the $$$ with the A-1.

For a long time, based on advice of friends, I considered the GL2 over the A-1. I'm so glad I sprung for the A-1.

Take care all.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #2
New Boot

I love the optics on this camera! And the zoom has impressed everyone who has seen it in action in my videos.
Scott Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Trustee

The XH-A1 lens fringes a little on the wide end but remains tack sharp on the telephoto end, and also at large aperture openings.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

just a question
if i zoom all the way on the camera that is 20x, and have letus setup with 200mm lense do i get another 200mm on top of the 20x zoom ??
Mickey Mackwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, but the A1 stops down to f/3.4 at full zoom.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mackwan View Post
just a question
if i zoom all the way on the camera that is 20x, and have letus setup with 200mm lense do i get another 200mm on top of the 20x zoom ??
Mickey,

This question was answered in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...d=1#post766157

Thanks to all of the rest of you for the comments. I certainly do continue to be impressed by the lens of this camera.

Rog Lee
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Major Player

While I too agree that the A1 has amazing optics, lets keep some things in perspective here. The A1 does not have a 650mm lens at the long end, it has a 90mm lens. Because it is a 1/3in chip, the equivalent of roughly 630mm is seen. So a $7000 600mm lens really isn't equivalent to what the A1 has to offer at $3000. To put things in perspective, lets take that 600mm lens and stick it on the XHA1, you now have a 4200mm lens, which I am guessing would get you pretty dang close to the action. So all in all, the A1's lens is great, but it really only is a 4.5mm to 90mm lens that has to have a projected image of 1/3", so it doesn't have to be nearly as large, use as much glass or be as highly refined as that 600mm lens.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

am extremely sorry i didnt see it got it now thanks roger
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Scherperel View Post
The A1 does not have a 650mm lens at the long end, it has a 90mm lens. Because it is a 1/3in chip, the equivalent of roughly 630mm is seen. To put things in perspective, lets take that 600mm lens and stick it on the XHA1, you now have a 4200mm lens, which I am guessing would get you pretty dang close to the action.
Stephan,

Thanks for replying. Hope you don't mind my editing you post a bit. I did this for reference on my reply.

As I've stated before, I'm as green as they get with video....I'm learning from what I read here and other sources.

I will admit, this conversion of video mm to lens mm is a bit confusing....especially when you consider the result.

Again, I looked at the picture of a bird I took on my Canon 400 lens with a 1.4 converter on. Anyway you cut it, in DSLR lens language that brings you to a FOV of 540mm.

And again, I looked at the same image of the bird taken at 20X on the A-1, shot from the same spot and the same conditions.

The bird was larger actually when viewed even as a still on the A-1 than on the 540mm combo I had on the 1DIIn. On my 1DIIn, I would have had to have a lens larger than 540mm to get the same result as the A-1 at 20X.

There is no way, in my understanding anyway, that a chip in a DSLR could effect a closer zoom...the lens on the DSLR would have to do that.

Again thanks for replying, I'm sure you are correct in your analysis but this conversion factor thing in video is a bit beyond me at this point.

Interesting stuff, I guess I'll have to do some more research on this.

One other thing....

Is there a way to effect a closer zoom, for my birding, on the A-1?

I have the Canon wide angle lens, so I know that an additional lens can make the FOV wider. Is there a lens made that can increase the zoom range on the A-1?

Thanks again.

Rog Lee
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mackwan View Post
am extremely sorry i didnt see it got it now thanks roger

No problem, I'm glad there was a response.

I do a lot of birding/picture taking and I was also very curious about this.

I thought the folks on that forum did a nice job of explaining what was going on.

Take care.
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Roger i found this if it would help
http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/...idproduct=3142
its a link to 1.6x teleconverter for xha1with a picture to show the difference with and without the converter...
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Mickey.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Hey Roger,
Check out this post. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=105673 I was after the same thing, but was finding it hard to get any info on what would be a good option. Finally i bit the bullet, & bought the Raynox Tele Converter lens & am absolutley thrilled with it. I have posted a link to my website where you can see the difference with & without the lens. Unfortunately you don't really get a good idea of the quality of the picture with the conversion lens on, but from what i can tell, there is now light loss what so ever, & so far i haven't been able to pick any reduction in the picture quality.

Bryce

Last edited by Bryce Comer; November 2nd, 2007 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Forgot link
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM   #14
Major Player

Bryce,

I checked out your demo. From what I can tell, the lens seems to work pretty well. Thanks for the info.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders