DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   recommend mic for a1 and ew100 kit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/106762-recommend-mic-a1-ew100-kit.html)

Ger Griffin October 29th, 2007 08:39 AM

recommend mic for a1 and ew100 kit

ok guys,
one product as an answer would be superb!

i have the ew100 g2 kit and the A1

what is the ideal mic to compliment these.
it needs to fit in the slot (although not the most important consideration), not be too long ie. not be in the shot on a wide angle, not require phantom power and be quite good quality for around the €250 (€300) mark.

Its mainly weddings I shoot.

thanks,
ger.

Ger Griffin October 29th, 2007 08:52 AM

just before anyone gives out to me for not searching the forum correctly before i post!, which i entirely agree with, i do apologise.

Im thinking about the rode ntg2,
im wondering about zoom noise, could the fact that is doesent really fit mean a cloth or something could be used to make it fit while dampening zoom noise?
and also if it comes into shot on the wide?

David Chilson October 29th, 2007 12:13 PM

Ger,

I purchased a Rycote Softie Mount and Camera Clamp adapter that fits the clamp on the A1 perfectly and raises the mic about 2 1/2" above the norm that may fit your requirements. (About $120US) I use a Sennheiser G2 and 416 mic with softie and a wide angle adapter and it keeps it out of the picture quite nicely. This will take care of any zoom noise and looks a little better than wrapping an old sock around it too! LOL!

Here's a link to a photo :http://dvinfo.net/conf/attachment.ph...4&d=1193522314

The adapter comes in three different mic sizes and the thing I also like about it it doubles as a boom pole mount too! As far your mic selection goes I have heard good things about that Rode, though I do not own one. Good Luck!

Dave

Daniel Park October 29th, 2007 12:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, why the requirement for the mic to need no phantom power? The A1 can easily supply phantom power...

I just ordered the NTG1 for mine, along with the SM5 shockmount that will work with the mic holder of the A1...

cheers, d.

Josh Laronge October 29th, 2007 12:59 PM

Ger,
I have the A1, the G2 kit and the NTG-2 and they work well together. I would recommend getting the Rode shock mount and using instead of the camera mount. I took the mount off my camera.
--Josh

Trish Kerr October 29th, 2007 05:21 PM

yeah the only trouble I've found so far with the NTG 2 on the camera mount is with the furry deadcat on you can see a few hairs in the lens view if the wind is blowing

trish

Ger Griffin October 30th, 2007 10:37 AM

Daniel, the sennheiser Ew100 kit includes a plug in transmitter for mics or any xlr sources but it doesent provide phantom power, for that you need a more expenise one. It is basically so i have the option of a wireless boom mic.

David, how do you find working that fig rig with the A1? I promoted my fig rig to the shelf. Your setup looks impressive.

Josh, where does the shock mount for the ntg2 attach? my hot shoe is already being used.

thanks for the input.

Daniel Park October 30th, 2007 01:42 PM

The skinny on the Rode shock mounts

This is something I can speak about, as I just finished investigating them. There are three shock mounts for Rode shotgun mics depending on your needs.

SM3 - this is probably the one you want. Its mounting system is threaded for boom poles, and it also includes a hot shoe adapter for attaching it to your camera.

B&H offers this one in a kit with the NTG2 and an XLR cable for the same price as the mic alone.

SM4 - Its mounting system includes internal threads and adapters that support mounting on a tripod, boom pole, or mic stand.

SM5 - Has a tubular doodad at the bottom that slides right into the cylindrical mic clasp on certain cameras from Sony, Panasonic, and of course the A1. It too contains internal threads for tripod and boom pole mounting. This is the shock mount I just bought. I'm also getting the SM3 as part of the NTG1 kit (for zero extra dollars, I figured 'why not?').

cheers, Daniel

David Chilson October 30th, 2007 02:33 PM

Ger,

This past summer I shot for a period of 14 weeks with the Fig Rig and for the application, it is fantastic. It was fishing for trout and salmon on Lake Ontario and was shot on boats. I came to prefer it over a shoulder mount because I could easily go from over my head to a close up of a fish on the deck very smoothly. Also, you can take up the wave action in your arms much easier than with a shoulder mount, making for a much smoother shot. With the shoulder mount, especially in rougher waters, every pitch of the deck was transmitted right through your body to the camera. I see a few people on this forum complain about holding the rig for extended of periods of time but in reality if you look at the duration of your shots, a four or five minute segment would be considered very long. If I had to shoot for an extended period,(some fish took almost an hour to land) I came up with a little trick that worked pretty nice. I attached a Manfrotto 560B monopod to one of those red Fig Rig clamps and would clamp it to the bottom of the rig. (The monopod has a swivel base and three little fold out legs and can tilt about 45 degrees plus it is as short as 27" high to almost 6 feet.) With the weight of the Fig Rig being held by the monopod, you could hold it there as long as necessary. Plus if you want to move, all you have to do is lift it ever so slightly and you are mobile again. This didn't work as well when it was extremely rough for the same reason's I described about the shoulder mount. I only have one segment of footage that is over 30 minutes long that anyone ever wanted to watch, it's two Hooter's girls's taking turns reeling in a salmon. I'm pretty sure it's the bikini's they are wearing and not my Fig Rig technique that is so intriguing. Good Luck!

Dave

Josh Laronge October 30th, 2007 03:09 PM

Ger,
The Rode shock mount goes into the hot shoe. If you're already using the hot shoe, check out a product call the jrod which fits into the existing mic holder and adds one or two cold shoes.

http://www.thej-rod.com/