When and if to White Balance... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 4th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
New Boot

When and if to White Balance...

If Im using a Moose Filter (Poloraizer/warming) should I manually White Balance?

If so do I balance with the filter on, or off?

I was playing around with it the other day and with the AWB on everything had a Greenish tint. I figured its because of the White Balance.

Also, if Im shooting some Sunrise footage, how often do I have to White Balance if the Color temp is constantly changing.

Thanks,
Mike A.
Michael Azzarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Mike,

You should always white balance before each shoot. Also take off any filters (other than UV) that you have before white balancing.

White balance:
For sunrise/sunset I usually use the AWB since, I think the AWB does a good job during these times in keeping the mood warm. White balancing at these times takes away the warm look. I deffinitely don't get a greenish tint during these times.

So you could white balance with a warming card or like you have, use a warming filter after white balancing.

Note that white balancing is basically to tell the camera what is white for the given light. In the case of sunrise/sunset you actually (most people I know) don't what white to look white.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders