A-1 LCD readout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Major Player

A-1 LCD readout

I've been searching posts on this, so if I missed it...sorry.

When using my LCD screen on my A-1, the only screen that shows both the shutter speed and aperature simultaneously is the manual screen...right?

On my DSLR's, even if I choose T.V. or shutter speed and adjust that, the corresponding aperature also shows on the screen...apparently that's not true on the A-1?

I understand that I can customize an external monitor to show what I want but apparently no such customization exists on the LCD monitor?

Thanks.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Roger,

Yes that is correct. Coming from an SLR/DSLR background myself this throws me off a bit too.

However, here is my take. In video even though we seem to have two (3 if you include Gain corresponding to ISO in DSLR) you really have only the aperture to play with since you typically want to use a specific shutter speed depending on your recording mode (24f, 30i, 60i).

It seems to me that most people shoot in TV mode so they can set the shutter to what they want (1/48 fo 24f, 1/60 for 30i, 1/120 for 60i). Since you don't want any Gain to kick in you have Automatic Gain set to off. Then you're left only with the aperture to control the exposure the way you want it.

What I tend to do is shoot in Manual and set the shutter to what I want and then set the exposure to the way I want it to look. That gives me the aperture setting as well as "exposure lock".

Shiv.
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lee View Post
I've been searching posts on this, so if I missed it...sorry.

When using my LCD screen on my A-1, the only screen that shows both the shutter speed and aperature simultaneously is the manual screen...right?

On my DSLR's, even if I choose T.V. or shutter speed and adjust that, the corresponding aperature also shows on the screen...apparently that's not true on the A-1?

I understand that I can customize an external monitor to show what I want but apparently no such customization exists on the LCD monitor?

Thanks.

Rog Lee
Hi Rog. A sort-of work-around is to press expsure lock when you want to see both settings. In this mode, you can also adjust either or both of them, but as Shiv says, it is probably more likely that you would want to adjust aperture rather than shutter speed.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
Roger,

Yes that is correct. Coming from an SLR/DSLR background myself this throws me off a bit too.

It seems to me that most people shoot in TV mode so they can set the shutter to what they want (1/48 fo 24f, 1/60 for 30i, 1/120 for 60i). Since you don't want any Gain to kick in you have Automatic Gain set to off. Then you're left only with the aperture to control the exposure the way you want it.

Shiv.
Shiv, Richard,

Thanks for replying and Shiv, I beg your pardon ahead of time for altering your quote but it takes me to my question.

O.K. I'm going to take a shot to see if I understand this.

T.V./A.V. same as DSLR.

Gain = pretty much same as ISO...makes sense.

However, unlike DSLR, I have to go full manual before I have control of all three; T.V., A.V., Gain/ISO right?

This may seem like a strange comment, but in DSLR, I can go T.V., have some control of A.V., ISO and still have AF.

With the A-1 as I understand it, if I go:

T.V.
I give up control of A.V/Iris, but I can set gain and I do still have A.F. In T.V. mode, what am I missing here? I understand that in T.V. mode I lose pretty much all control of A.V/Iris and would try to compensate with gain?

A.V.
I give up control of T.V(not good), I have the Iris, can set gain and still have A.F.

Manual.
I have control of T.V./A.V./Iris and Gain but lose A.F. I'm not crazy about losing A.F.

Is my understanding of T.V., A.V., Manual correct?

Thanks again.

Rog Lee
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Roger,

Ok, you seem to have some confusion about the Manual Exposure mode. I'm sorry if what I said earlier threw you into a tail spin. I'll try and explain more clearly.

First off, keep in mind that there is almost no difference between your DSLR and the A1. The difference really comes due to the frame rate you choose to shoot in.

So going back a bit...

Gain and AF are independent of the M/Tv/Av mode just like in a DSLR. In other words, you have full but seperate control over gain and AF no matter what exposure mode you're shooting in (M/Tv/Av).

In a DSLR when in Tv mode you control the shutter speed and the camera adjusts aperture to achieve correct exposure. Now if, for the given light conditions and the shutter speed you've selected the camera is unable to adjust the aperture in order to achieve correct exposure (shutter speed indicator starts to blink) then you would change the ISO to help it achieve correct exposure. The A1 is the same.

So, just like in a DSLR the AF/ MF option is a seperate switch (on the lens) and have nothing to do with Manual exposure mode. And just like in a DSLR the ISO is set differently from how you choose any of the creative exposure modes, the gain setting is a seperate switch in the A1.

Put anoter way:

In Tv exposure mode, you determine the shutter and the camera controls aperture (in order to achieve correct exposure). Just like in a DSLR.

In Av exposure mode, you determine the aperture and the camera controls the shutter. Just like in a DSLR.

In M expsoure mode, you control both aperture and shutter and the camera shows you an exposure meter to assit you in achieving correct exposure. Just like in a DSLR.

AF/MF and Gain are completely independent of the above exposure modes.

The only other point I was trying to make is this:
In Photography, you'd choose to be in Tv mode when you want to take control of the shutter to take for example, freeze action shoots (high speed shutter) or maybe get a motion blur of you child on a swing (slow shutter speed and you'll track the subject to have the subject in focus and a motion blured background).

In video, the notion of controlling shutter for such creative purposes does not hold water (for the most part). The frame rate you're shooting at determines the shutter speed you should be using (for best results). So if you've decide to shoot in 30i then your shutter is set at 1/60. From that point on, the only way you can achieve correct exposure is by setting the aperture and/or gain.

The other way to look at it is this:
In photography lets say you're doing a portrait and so you want a shallow DOF and so you want to shoot in Av. If the lights are bright your camera will simply increase the shutter speed to compensate. You don't care what the shutter speed was set to (by the camera).

In video, let's say you're doing an interview (akin to a portrait) and you want to blur out the background here too. You'll still shoot in Tv because you don't want to make sure the shutter is at 1/60, you'll open up the aperture as much as possible to achive a shallow DOF and then if it's over exposed, you use either the the built in ND filter or screw on ND filters to your lens. You won't up the shutter speed to control this. Does that make sense?

You said:
Quote:
but in DSLR, I can go T.V., have some control of A.V.
Now I don't have a 1D :) but this is not a correct statement. You choose to go in Tv exposure mode for a reason and that is to control shutter. You don't want to control aperture in that case and it implies you don't care what the aperture will be and so you don't have any control over aperture.
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Hello Shiv,

Thanks so much for the response. You really cleared up a number of things for me and I better understand now about the separate functions of gain and AF.

The time you took to respond is really appreciated as there is no one close for me to visit with about the A-1 person to person.

This forum, your time and the time others have taken is how I learn video. I spend a lot of time with the manual also, but like all tech manuals I've received with equipment, they can be vague on some issues.

Re: AV control in the T.V. mode in DSLR. I didn't quite state that right. You are right...there is no direct control. I meant to say that I could make slight changes in AV by adjusting my T.V. settings....sorry for the confusion.

Thanks again Shiv. This was a good learning experience for me.

Rog Lee
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

When shooting in A, Av or Tv modes, full manual control is just a button press away. Simply push the Exp. Lock button and take full control of shutter and aperture. Press it again to revert to whatever auto or semi-auto mode you were in. My favorite way to shoot is Tv + Exp. Lock, which is full manual control with auto-exposure on tap whenever I want by simply pressing Exposure Lock. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
When shooting in A, Av or Tv modes, full manual control is just a button press away. Simply push the Exp. Lock button and take full control of shutter and aperture. Press it again to revert to whatever auto or semi-auto mode you were in. My favorite way to shoot is Tv + Exp. Lock, which is full manual control with auto-exposure on tap whenever I want by simply pressing Exposure Lock. Hope this helps,
Chris,

All this info helps a lot....

You and the others are a great help to me and really speeding up my learning curve on this camera....which I do love by the way. :)

Thanks Chris...your time and reply are appreciated.

Rog Lee
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Roger,

Glad to be of help.

Yes the people on this forum are a great help. Somethings would be difficult, confusing and overwhelming for beginners like us without their help.

Shiv.
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
Roger,

Glad to be of help.

Yes the people on this forum are a great help. Somethings would be difficult, confusing and overwhelming for beginners like us without their help.

Shiv.
Very true and thanks Shiv.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders