Flaw in the Tripod mount area on the A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Flaw in the Tripod mount area on the A1?

I find that the little "platform" Canon have provided surrounding the tripod mount screw hole to be a flaw in the design. Let me explain...

As result of this small platform, only that portion of the camera body really touches the tripod base plate (quick release plate etc.). This in turn causes the camera to shake, especially when you touch it, like when you're racking focus on the Letus or on the camera.

Does anyone else see this to be an issue? I've slipped small rubber sheets in front of the platform and behind the platform in order to provide a fuller support and that makes the camera rock steady.

Is there a reason for this platform that I don't seem to get?
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm a bit lost here.

I don't have a 'little' platform around the screw mount. Looks pretty standard to me.

Mine's as solid as a rock on the tripod using the quick release [plate.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Bill,

Unscrew your quick release plate from the camera and look at the bottom of the camera, you'll see that the bottom is not enttirely flat. There is a small "platform" around the area of the mounting screw hole. In other words the area around the mounting screw hole is raised a bit. So essentially, that's the only area that actually touches the quick release plate or tripod base (as the case may be).

The other way to look at it is to have your quick release plate screwed firmly to the camera. Now lift the camera to your eye level such that you are able to see the area between your camera and quick release plate. You'll notice that there is only a small portion (of the camera) that actually makes contact with your quick release plate. There is a small gap (about 2-3mm) between the rest of your plate and the camera. This gap (depending on how you're mounted your plate can be found towards the front and the back of the camera.

Now mount your camera on your tripod and lock all movement on your tripod. If you push down lightly from the top on your lens or the back of the camera you'll notice a slight "play". This play is caused due to the air gap between your quick release plate and camera and not your tripod head etc.

Shiv.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Not on mine.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Major Player

So it looks like the bottom of your camera is not like mine? Please take a look at the images attached.

One shows a bottom view of my camera and the other is annotated.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1194341089

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1194341089
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Clicked on the link but it says it's an invalid attachment.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Ok, try this link instead.

http://photoalbum.matlus.com//AlbumView.aspx/6

When you get to the page, please scroll the list of images all the way to the bottom and you'll see two images of the A1.

Thanks for seeing this through.

Shiv.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm sorry mate but I can't see what the problem is.

Looks the same as mine and my snap lock plate seems to fit flush without any wobble.

Maybe someone else can come in on this one.
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #9
Major Player

Bill,

So is your quick release plate so long that it goes from the mounting hole area all the way to the back of the camera (I mean all the way)?

Also, note that the play is so small as to not be noticeable until you mount the camera on the tripod and shoot and then press lightly on the lens from the top or press on the back of the camera from the top.

If the base of your camera looks like mine then it's not flat and you'll have the issue I cited unless your quick release plate is long enough to go from the front of the (bottom of the camera) all the way to the back.

What tripod do you have?

Thanks again for your patients.

Shiv.
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Major Player

I can see what your talking about, my camera is the same in so much as it doesn't contact all of the tripod plate, although I haven't noticed any wobble at all.

If the plate is screwed on tight enough there should still be enough contact with the camera to stop any movement. I'd check to make sure the mounting point on the camera hasn't been damaged somehow.

Do you use rails to support your letus? I doubt the camera mount was designed to carry all that extra weight on the front so that might be part of the problem.

regards

Paul.
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Whew! Thanks Paul.

I can screw on the plate really tight, no problem there. The play is very slight but it is the primary cause of a "shake" (not wobble :)). After I padded the gap with thin rubber pieces I can touch the camera, push buttons etc. without the slightest of shakes.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm only using a standard camera/tripod quick release plate.

However, I've laid the edge of a steel rule along that area in all directions and, if anything, the mounting hole area is slightly below the level of the base.

Can't help thinking that yours has been pulled out of shape somehow?
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Bill,

Thanks for the info and sticking with this.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Shiv.............

You have, incidently, highlighted an inherant weakness in the Canon A1/ G1 and possibly H1 cameras, and that is the inability to accomodate the "pro", twin, 3/8" screws of the higher end mounting systems.

That a HD camera, on board mic, wireless system, rails possibly etc etc etc are all held onto the mounting plate with one paltry 1/4" machined screw is nothing less than criminal.

SD only, I could believe, HD - surely not!

I sincerely hope Canon get it right next time and offer both options.

And yes, the "land" area for the mounting plate attach isn't exactly generous.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #15
Major Player

Chris,

I'm glad you see the issue! I didn't know something like the pro twin 3/8" screws existed and was actually wondering why such mountings didn't exist.

If they just provided a completely flat bottom it would allow one to touch the camera, press buttons (such as Push AF and Zoom and focus presets etc. without any camera shake. Simply filling the air gap with rubber strips allows me to do this.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders