Blur in scenic shots at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blur in scenic shots

Hi all, I have been lurking around this forum for a while and gathering alot of usefull information. I recently got the XH-A1 and I have been shooting landscapes, waterfalls etc. for stock footage.

Anyways, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I'm not sure if I have a Camera problem or an HDV aquisition problem.

Problem:
When I play composite out of my camera to a monitor my footage looks great, its sharp and vivid.
When I capture it to FCP and play it back it is sharp until I hit play. As soon as its playing it blurs (like "I need to get my eyes checked" kinda blur). When I stop it looks ok again.

My HDV Aquistion : I have tried every workflow I can find info on and the only one that I can get to work is -

1. Capture over firewire using the DVHS app from the Apple Firewire SDK
2. Use Mpeg Streamclip to export to an HDV resolution Apple Intermediate Codec (1080i 60)
3. Import into FCP

Is it me, the camera or my workflow......or all of the above ; )

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: These are all locked shots with focus at infinity.

Last edited by Luke Tingle; November 6th, 2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Doh!
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Major Player

It could be a few things but I don’t believe it’s from the camera.

It could be your display or preview settings. The actual file might be just as sharp but your monitor or editing app may be giving you a low res display.

It could be your capture settings, bringing in the footage at a lower resolution.

It could be the Intermediate Codec.

If the source footage from the camera looks tight, you can rule out the camera.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks! I'll try different monitoring for sure.
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Blur in Image

I find this same problem whenever there is a filter or motion setting applied to the clip. Basically FCP can not show you the full quality at playback, but when you stop it looks great. You probably have a light or dark green line above your clip in the timeline. Try rendering your timeline and see if that makes a difference.

Jon Schwartz
CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, the above post is right, also try setting your timeline to "unlimited" preview if you have the processor speed.
Jae Staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yep!

That was it, exported a QT movie of the sequence and it looks great, thanks for the help.
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Tingle View Post
That was it, exported a QT movie of the sequence and it looks great, thanks for the help.
Yes Luke, that's the dynamic real time preview reducing resolution to maintain frame rate. As you discovered, your rendered material looks fine.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders