UV filter (for protection) for the XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Major Player

UV filter (for protection) for the XH-A1

I've finally joined the ranks of XH-A1 owners!!! Now I'm looking for a UV filter to put on all the time for protection. I'm considering a Hoya filter. B & H has several.

There is the Hoya 72mm Ultraviolet (UV) Pro 1 Digital Multi-Coated Glass Filter for $73.50. The website is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391176-REG/Hoya_XD72UV_72mm_Ultraviolet_UV_Pro.html

There is also the Hoya 72mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Haze Multi-Coated Glass Filter for $37.50. The website is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/23734-REG/Hoya_723031_72mm_Ultraviolet_UV_0_Haze.html

Is the first one really worth virtually twice the price? Is there a noticable difference in how they affect the video quality?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Hi!

You can consider seriously to buy from Ebay. I have bought the same item and it is a great piece of workmanship. The Kenko brand is owned by Hoya but is only for Japan market. The product are the same but at a fraction of price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenko-72mm-72-mm...QQcmdZViewItem
Cesare Improta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Major Player

??? I'm looking for a comparison between the 2 filters I listed. Is anyone familiar with both of them?
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a B+W 010 on one A1 and a Tiffen UV Protector on another and I can't see a difference at all. The B+W is twice the price of the Tiffen and not worth the extra imo.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Is there anyone out there with experience or knowledge of the two Hoya filters about which I'm asking?
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Stephen...........

"Is the first one really worth virtually twice the price? Is there a noticable difference in how they affect the video quality?[/QUOTE]

(Does anyone know how this multi - quote thing works, seriously giving me the YNW's).

Don't fancy your chances of finding someone who knows both - why would anyone have two?

As for the intent of the original question, can't answer that either, tho' if you simply accept that "you get what you pay for" and also that once bought and fitted, that's it, end of story, you'll never give it another thought. Go for the $73 one and be done with it.

You'll never notice it there and neither will anyone else. There must be far more important things to think about if you're a new A1 owner than microscopic (and invisible to the naked eye) differences in UV filters.

Just my 2 cents.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Certainly there are more important things - like learning how to adjust the settings, which is really cool and one of the things that sold me on the XH-A1. Doesn't mean I don't want to check on some of the more mundane things, like filters. Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably end up with the $73 one.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Digital cameras do not need UV protection, the sensors are not sensetive to UV part of the spectrum.

Protection filter is sometimes needed, but there is no need to pay for UV filtering.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Major Player

I think you're paying for better glass with the higher priced one. Don't know either - I have a B+W 010. It's more for protection than anything - and well worth it in my opinion. But I was told not to go too cheap on the filter as you are filming thru it and don't want to compromise with cheap glass.

Of course it was the sales guy - so I'm not sure how cheap you can go before you'd actually see a compromise in the imagery.

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Contributor

Better filters cost more. Tiffen, B+W and the top quality Hoya filters are all good, as well as some others. You can get a good protective filter for the $50-$75 range. Anything cheaper probably isn't quite as good in terms of clarity, coating, etc.

I've always used Tiffen Series 9 filters on other film and video cameras, but for the Canon I got a Hoya clear glass thin filter. It's something like 3mm, but because it's so thin there are not outer threads if that's a concern. It was around $75.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #11
New Boot

From what I understand, as long as it's multi-coated you'll be fine with either one. I just use the Hoya S-HMC filters on my pro digital slr lenses and they work great. I got the s-hmc filter for my xh-a1 and worked just fine today. I'm pretty sure that if its' good enough for an 8 megapixel camera, it's fine for video.
Brian Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #12
Major Player

B+W 010 for me as well. For me, it was peace of mind. As far as Hoya goes, I use the better ones on my DSLR lenses, good stuff.

For the $30 or so difference on a camera that costs $3K +, I go with peace of mind and get the better one.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 06:07 AM   #13
New Boot

In the B+W series there are differences too... the B+W 010 has a more expensive 'MRC' version as well. I can't find what this 'MRC' means, maybe it has something to do with the coating material? Does anyone know?
Thomas van den Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Filters can protect from more than just UV

I recently tried a polarizer filter (can't remember the brand at the moment) on my XH-A1 and found that I could not focus at the end of my lens. At all. Weird. Its been sent back for store credit. However, I thought I'd throw my vote in for a protective UV filter. I just barely had a UV filter give its life to save my D-SLR when my baby girl tipped over the tripod on top of which it was sitting. I now have a UV filter shaped gouge in my coffee table, and the filter itself is bent, but the camera and lens are working perfectly. Whew!
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Major Player

the hoya UV filter I use seems to cause lensflare
to show up a bit sooner than without it.
maybe that could be the difference between the 2 pieces.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders