DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Camcorder bag suggestions for XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/108062-camcorder-bag-suggestions-xh-a1.html)

Shiv Kumar November 17th, 2007 10:04 AM

Images showing Pelican 1510 housing the XHA1

2 Attachment(s)
Malcolm,

Here are the images...

The top view showing (from Top-left to bottom right)
1. My Mic preamp
2. My Mic (It's a lav. mic) and the XHA1 Remote
3. The battery charger, and the two cables. The bettery goes into the A1.
4. This cutout allows for a few tapes, head cleaner tapes, screw driver, 25 foot XLR cable, filter wrench lens cleaning solution and 100 pads and some other odds and ends.
5. The A1 camera (the battery is in the A1).

Side View:
Essentially showing that the A1 fits comfortably in the case.

About the foam cut-outs:
The body area of the A1 is supported by 1 layer of foam the top two layers have been cut out. The handle and mic area of the A1 are supported by the bottom two layers of foam. In other words, only one layer (the top most) has been cut out from this area.

All other cut outs have only one layer at the bottom supporting the contents. That is the top two layers have been cut out. Now the right most compartment (No. 4 above) could quite easily have no supporting foam since there is nothing delicate in this compartment.

You can also see (in the top view photo) that the convoluted foam of the case's top presses into the top of the foam in the bottom part of the case. The top part of the case is just about 1.5-2 inches in depth. So not much space there except for the convoluted foam.

Malcolm OBrien November 17th, 2007 03:51 PM

Shiv,
Thanks again, those pics tell it all. Exactly what I need in a small crash proof footprint. I'll definately order one.

Jeremiah Rickert November 23rd, 2007 01:13 AM

I was warned against using those pull-foam cases because the foam can absorb moisture pretty easily.

Might make a difference what kind of climate you live in...

JR

Thomas van den Berg November 23rd, 2007 05:52 AM

I'm a happy user of the CS-DV4U of Portabrace. The bag is big enough (some ppl consider it too big for the XH-A1) to house external mic and a lot of extra equipment and the bag is of good quality. Though it's not a hardcase it offers a lot of protection. I guess I could sit on it without harming the cam inside, but forgive me not actually trying it...

Pic: http://www.adorama.com/images/Product/PBCSDV4U.JPG

Paul Joy November 23rd, 2007 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another vote for the Peli 1510, it's ideal for general protection of the XH-A1. I wouldn't want to carry it around town though if that's your main requirement, you'd be better of with a shoulder bag for that. I've been really impressed by the peli cases, in fact another Peli (the 1560) was the first thing I got for my EX-1 too.

Slightly different configuration to Shiv's, but that's the great thing about the pluck 'n' pull foam. The foam is quite easy to damage though if you don't treat it carefully.

Paul.

Kellen Dengler December 12th, 2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert (Post 780455)
I was warned against using those pull-foam cases because the foam can absorb moisture pretty easily.

Might make a difference what kind of climate you live in...

JR

I had thought about that too, but after purchasing mine I noticed a little brochure supplied by Pelican. They make a little humidity thing that absorbs moisture that you can put right in the case. I live in AZ so I'm not really worried about condensation too much...

I love the Pelican 1510. Fits the cam perfect and will be great for travel. It's not that much of a hassle to lug around eaither with the rollers and extension handle. I just have my camera in it for now. My new shotgun mic is on the way so I want to get a good layout for it, but I'm thinking it will have to be removed and stored seperate because the camera fits so snug.