Mattebox that would work with the WD-H72 WA converter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 21st, 2007, 02:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Mattebox that would work with the WD-H72 WA converter?

I`m still in the situation where I can`t use a polarizer and a ND grad on my XH A1 with the original WD-H72 WA converter attached. It doesn`t come up with the search.
So, can someone recommend a light weight 2 stage mattebox that will work for sure and by sure I mean with one rotated filter stage etc.
The converter has a 109mm front diameter so any of the sub $1000 vocas stuff wouldn`t work (105mm opening). Geardear stuff looks too bulky or if not bulky then it takes some time to screw all that together.
As 4x4 filters are only 100mm wide I`m afraid that I must use sort of bigger filters too? The WD-H72 converter seems quite expensive as you add about $2000 to use a polarizer, hmm isn`t there a cheaper solution?

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Have you tried a polaizer between the main lens and the converter?

I don't know if it will work.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Jack, it won`t work as the converters threads are proprietary to A1.
Still no 4x4 mattebox for that monster wide converter.
Doesn`t anyone at all use a mattebox with this kind of wide converter?

Thanks,
T
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
I`m still in the situation where I can`t use a polarizer and a ND grad on my XH A1 with the original WD-H72 WA converter attached. It doesn`t come up with the search.
So, can someone recommend a light weight 2 stage mattebox that will work for sure and by sure I mean with one rotated filter stage etc.
The converter has a 109mm front diameter so any of the sub $1000 vocas stuff wouldn`t work (105mm opening). Geardear stuff looks too bulky or if not bulky then it takes some time to screw all that together.
As 4x4 filters are only 100mm wide I`m afraid that I must use sort of bigger filters too? The WD-H72 converter seems quite expensive as you add about $2000 to use a polarizer, hmm isn`t there a cheaper solution?

Thanks in advance,
T
It may be too late, but the Century .8x can accept an 86mm screw in filter and comes with a lens shade.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1075&IID=2974

Ryan Avery
Regional Sales Representative
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
It may be too late, but the Century .8x can accept an 86mm screw in filter and comes with a lens shade.
http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1075&IID=2974
Ryan Avery
Regional Sales Representative
Schneider Optics
I don't think the lens shade has a filter holder in it. The Canon WA also has a lens shade, but there is no place to put a filter.

Quote:
Jack, it won`t work as the converters threads are proprietary to A1.
Still no 4x4 mattebox for that monster wide converter.
Doesn`t anyone at all use a mattebox with this kind of wide converter?
Thanks,
T
Yes, I just looked, and while the threads are standard, the converter has an extension that prevents it from being screwed onto a filter.

I believe the Cokin X-PRO would work. It has a universal adapter ring that goes up to 118mm, outside diameter:
http://www.cokin.com/ico2-p1.html#1
http://www.cokin.com/ico15/ico15-haut.html?=#x

At the second link it says the Cokin is the largest system currently on the market.

For a one-time thing, you could probable tape the filter to the lens shade. For regular use, the Cokin system, which has many, many relatively low-cost filters available, seems a very good option.

(I have seen a soft matte box mentioned here that is inexpensive. But I don't know how big it is, and I don't remember the name.)
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #6
Trustee

Here's a Cokin polarizer kit that will work ($226.41):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_Basic.html

Here's the universal adapter ring that is needed on the Canon Wide Angle for the XH-A1 ($66.95):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...pter_Ring.html
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh, I thought that the Z-Pro is the largest Cokin system with 4x4 filters and even with a mattebox system.
So I might try to come up with some sort of sunshade for that X-Pro system and get at least little protection from the sun with all my filter needs covered.

Thanks,
T
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Oh, I thought that the Z-Pro is the largest Cokin system with 4x4 filters and even with a mattebox system.
So I might try to come up with some sort of sunshade for that X-Pro system and get at least little protection from the sun with all my filter needs covered.

Thanks,
T
The X-Pro uses filters largest than 4x4. However, because of the price of the filters getting the few you need for the Wide-Angle is not really a problem perhaps. the filter size is (6-2/3" x 5-1/3") (170x130mm)

If you look at the details on the Cokin site of the X-Pro setup, you will see how it is made to be reversed for use of the polarizer on the wide angle.

Also, the X-Pro, even though big, with the universal adapter ring can be used on just about any camera.

How the Cokin system works:
http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html

Here are the details on the X-Pro. Detail 5 shows the reversible holder for the polarizer used on wide angle lenses:
http://www.cokin.com/ico15/ico15-haut.html?=#x

As you say though, if you have a 4 x 4 polarizer, maybe you can attach it somehow to the shade -- except that the lens shade on the WA is 5-1/4" x 7". The Cokin system uses a circular polarizer. The Cokin polarizer is linear, but it should work fine.
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #9
Trustee

I just read the instruction manual that came with the Canon Wide Angle lens. It says right in the manual that filters cannot be used with the lens.

Obviously, though, the Cokin X-Pro should work fine and discussed above.

The equivalent Century Wide Angle adapter has a threaded front that takes a filter.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders