Mounting Firestore on A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Mounting Firestore on A1

Has anyone found a good way to mount a firestore on the A1? The nice thing about the H1 is that it has that nice bracket on the back, but your only option with the A1 seems to be putting some kind of "shoe to screw" adapter on the shoe and doing it there.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions. I actually thought of just getting a thin metal plate and drilling a hole in it, imitating the bracket of the H1 but having it mount to the tripod.

My idea was that it could be used to anchor the firewire cable as well so the plug doesn't get screwed up.

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I am also in the market for a Firestore and am looking all over the place for different options to mount it. A lot of people on the DVX Forums are using Noga arms or something equivalent.

I would rather have some way to attach out the back vs a hot shoe connector. Geardear makes a cage and backpack that can connect out the bakc of the cam through a rod support system that looks pretty cool. I have read mixed reviews about their product though...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have mounted mine on the side with a modified Bracket 1 mount. It is not he best because it sticks out to the side of your right hand, but I find it manageable. If I am not using a tripod, I will simply mount it to the tripod socket so it is directly underneath the camera. This is pretty handy.

The worst part is the cabling. The 4 pin connection at the back of the camera is weak. I have already broken my firewire port. It became loose and was unreliable. Canon fixed me up just fine. Now I have modified a firewire cable by gluing it to a headphone adapter so the headphone jack gives some support tot the firewire cable. Seems to work very well.

I am considering making a new plate to mount the Firestore lower and behind the camera. I just have not decided what the optimum place would be.

Clay
Clay K. Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Just curious Clay what model of FS are you using and how do you like it?
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the 100 gig FS-C. So far I like it. It makes capturing painless.

Clay
Clay K. Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That's good to hear. That is the exact one I am saving for at the moment.

I'm thinking about mounting it via a FS-Cage from geardear http://geardear.com/Cage.html out the back of a rail system so it will look something like this: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98...ackpack500.gif
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I can't figure out why my images are not posting. Hopefully those links work...
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #8
New Boot

check out the jimmybox

Ive got a Jimmybox. It works fairly well, but my firewire port on the cam just broke. LAME
Cody Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Yeah...I don't understand why they don't put a 6pin connector on the cameras. I know they're bigger, but just like the 4pins on most laptops, they break. And unlike a laptop, you can't put a firewire card into your pcmcia or express slot and have firewire again.

I did notice that the firewire cables that came with the Firestore have a longer...uh... extension...rod...protruberance... than the other 6pin to 4pin that I had laying around. I was shooting something with a six foot cable that I had laying around and the thing lost connection a few times, but it turned out the cable was about half as long and I don't think it was getting a good connection.

I've thought of doing as someone else on this board has...gluing another plug to the underside of the firewire and plugging it into the AV plug.

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Not knowing much about the firestore, this might be a longshot. I purchased this right angled handle adapter thing to make filming on the boat a little more stable. It seems that if the firestore has a "shoe" hook up you could add it to this right angled adapter.
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders