Tape gets stuck when switching to SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Tape gets stuck when switching to SD

I have only had my A1 since the summer. So, this is the first time I ever switched from HD to 16x9 SD. I wanted to do some shooting in SD and as soon as I selected SD and clicked YES, I heard the tape mechanism make a noise then a red warning comes up that says "remove tape" . It flashed for a moment and then when I tried to eject the tape it wouldn't make a sound, I couldn't even open the outer cover. The tape was stuck some how. I kept switching the standby switch to lock and then back to standby while shaking the outer tape door and it finally opened and ejected the tape. I thought maybe just a freak thing so I loaded the tape again and had to go through it all again. Fortunately I was able to remove the tape. The tape is a Sony Premium and brand new. I have had no issues with it shooting in HDV, though I have only shot about 3 hours with the camera. So, in short, I threw the tape away. I installed another tape but left it on HDV instead of SD and it worked just fine. I am too paranoid about switching to SD and locking the tape mech. up again. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what is the problem? Thanks. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Contributor

Was it a new tape or did it have some HDV footage already recorded? I don't think that would make a difference, but who knows. I've switched between the two formats before with no problem, usually with a tape in the camera, but always a new one.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Major Player

It was a brand new tape straight from the package. It had not had one second recorded on it. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Try selecting SD before you load the tape.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Turns out it must have been the tape. I put another new one in and went ahead and shot in HDV since I wasn't having any problems there, but later tried switching and had no problem with the new tape. Thanks for your comments. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders