DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Still can't capture with A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/108985-still-cant-capture-a1.html)

Brent Hamilton November 27th, 2007 11:13 PM

Still can't capture with A1

I have replaced the Firewire cable, tried both VIA and TI chipsets on firewire cards and used the chipset on by ASUS P5K Deluxe motherboard and still the A1 is nowhere to be found.

Interestingly at one time, approx. 4 months ago my motherboard port did recognize the A1. I had to reformat and since then no matter what I do the camera is not recognized.

Does anybody have any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Brent

Shiv Kumar November 28th, 2007 12:41 AM

Brent,

Can you provide details please?
1. What OS/platform?
2. How are you trying to detect the A1?
3. Do you know for a fact the firewire port is operational?
4. How old is the machine or firewire card?
5. Do you know if your camera is detectable on another machine?

Jack Walker November 28th, 2007 12:45 AM

Will another computer see the XH-A1?

Do you have another firewire device -- an external hard drive, another camera -- you can check on your computer?

... at least to elimate the obvious.

Brent Hamilton November 28th, 2007 10:00 AM

I'm running XP2 with all current updates.

I primarily use NEO-HDV but Vegas (7.0e) video capture does not see camera either.

The port is operational; I have an older Sony HC1 which I have to use to videocapture. Nothing wrong with this it's just that I want the A1 to work. I was going to sell the Sony but can't until I can capture with A1 again. Also the HC1 is identified in all cases regardless of which port or card I use.

My computer is homebuilt: 2gb ram; Q6600; nvidia 540 quadro card. The VIA card is new; the TI card is several years old.

I have not had a chance to check camera on a different computer.

Brent

Ivan Mosny November 28th, 2007 11:20 AM

Try to connect XHA1 as a DV Device with HD DOWN-CONW on.

Shiv Kumar November 28th, 2007 12:10 PM

Brent,

I've had this issue with one of my PCs. It's an older PC with Vista installed but nonetheless each time I connected the A1 to it, it would tell me that it couldn't find the required driver.

Eventually, I downloaded driver I found for (I believe) the H1 or a similar camera. I found the drivers here (dvinfo) somewhere and it actually worked for the A1 and I could capture from the A1.

Sorry I can't be of much help. It's been a while.

Brent Hamilton November 28th, 2007 07:41 PM

I set the downconversion to on and reconnected firewire.....nada.

I'm beginning to think its time to send in for repair.

Thanks, Brent

Shiv Kumar November 29th, 2007 12:22 AM

Brent,

I know this seems silly, but I doubt the camera is at fault. Maybe you should try hooking it up to a friends PC before you do that. Any XP/VISTA machine should pickup the camera as soon as you connect to it.

I mean for all you know you send it and they send it back saying it's working fine, no?

Brent Hamilton November 29th, 2007 08:31 AM

I'll give that a try....Its the only option I have not tried.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Brent

Brent Goodale November 30th, 2007 07:21 PM

reset the camera to factory settings. worked for me one time.... . ....

Jack Walker November 30th, 2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Goodale (Post 785100)
reset the camera to factory settings. worked for me one time.... . ....

On the same computer you've been trying?
Have you had a chance to try another computer and another cable. I think at this point, this would be number one priority. It will either eliminate the camera as the problem, it will support the notion it may be the camera (or settings)

Have you tried it in straight DV mode?

Brent Goodale December 1st, 2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 785144)
On the same computer you've been trying?
Have you had a chance to try another computer and another cable. I think at this point, this would be number one priority. It will either eliminate the camera as the problem, it will support the notion it may be the camera (or settings)

Have you tried it in straight DV mode?

My Roommate used my A1 and on return we hooked it up on his mac book and it was not recognizing it at all. I then tried it on my system and the camera would not recognize it at all either. So I was thinking that he messed with some settings... I reset the camera to factory defaults and it worked great.

Brent Hamilton December 2nd, 2007 12:06 AM

OK I reset the camera to default and it still is not recognized by Vegas or NEO. The only thing I have not tried is connecting the camera to another computer.

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Jack Walker December 2nd, 2007 12:30 AM

Do you hear the "Ding" sound from Windows when you connect the Firewire?

Have you changed the cable?

I still suggest you plug the camera into someone's laptop or any other computer.

Sam Johnston December 2nd, 2007 05:30 PM

Ok, I had very similar problems, was really worried camera was at fault, but it wasn't.

What firewire card are you using and what variety of cable (small to big / 4 pin to 6 pin or 4 to 4 pin?)
I was using a completely functional 4 to 4 pin cable and it wouldn't work with windows at all; I really recommend getting a dedicated 4 to 6 pin cable (NO ADAPTERS (mine had adapters and didn't work with the adapter off but only with the adapter on-- go figure)

When you have the camera plugged in and set to the VCR/PLAY switch does the HDV/DV IN logo/text flash repeatedly on the screen?

Fire up device manager (click START>RUN and type in devmgmt.msc) and check for any unknown devices and expand the section that says audio/video devices and tell me if it lists "AVC DV CAMERA" or similar.