"Inside the Canon XHA1 and XHG1" ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

"Inside the Canon XHA1 and XHG1" ???

Does anyone have the "Inside the Canon XHA1 and XHG1" book/DVD by Berube, Berube, and Eagle? If so, is it worth getting for someone who upgraded from the GL-2 to the XH-A1, and who is a newbie to the level of customization available with the A1?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Major Player

You need it to help you understand not only the basic but also the advance side of the camera, it really worth the $80.

Never regard buying it. It has more then what the manual will show you
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

It's not a book. It's a DVD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks! I knew there was a DVD, but I didn't know if a book came with it. Is it relatively easy to understand for newbies, but enough substance to continue learning as one gets more advanced?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Major Player

The DVD is great! Walks you through every setting on the cameras and talks a bit about HDV in general, very well done and easy to follow. Well worth the money. And to answer your questions, its very simple to follow and in depth enough that once you know what everything is you will know where and how to find and adjust it all.
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #6
New Boot

I bought a competing DVD called "Canon XHA1 Made Easy" from Elite Video, and wasn't terribly impressed - just a dry walkthrough of your settings, with no real-world examples of use. Perhaps I'll check out the one you're referring to.

cheers, d.
Daniel Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i didn't get much out of the first part, but the second section did go a long way in explaining some of the advanced features of the camera.
John Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Trustee

But why do we have to buy a DVD for clarifications that Canon should be doing anyway? The settings detail has always been lacking.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
But why do we have to buy a DVD for clarifications that Canon should be doing anyway? The settings detail has always been lacking.
Not to pick on you , but do Toyota/Ford/GM provide high speed driving lessons with their performance cars? Or Nikon provide photography lessons with their still cameras? (OK, some NLE do bundle a tutorial, but that has common practice in the desktop applications software world that is fading over time. Some retailers may offer packages as well, but that is a retailer service.)

I believe that assumption is that the users buying hardware products, especially at the XH-A1 level, are generally knowledgeable about video, and mainly need an introduction to the user interface, not optimization of video settings, which is more of an art.

Most important to the manufacturers and to many users, it save product cost, a real consideration for those who do not want/need the tutorial.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Tom, go here and check out the video .

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...a-9d5315f4ee3d

I don't think any manual will show you what this , and also it covers a lot of the HDV stuff. Something that you have to spend time reading about, that doesn't come from the manual . You are paying for someone's experience

Last edited by David Chia; November 29th, 2007 at 11:31 AM.
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #11
New Boot

That DVD is absolutely awesome for newbies like me to quickly learn about altering and modifying the options on the XHA1. I imported it from the US as it isn't for sale in the EU and I am glad I did (obviously one of the good tips I found on dvinfo.net)
Thomas van den Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #12
Trustee

I second that - the Vasst DVD is great. I've watched acouple of times now.
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:35 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chia View Post
Tom, go here and check out the video .

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...a-9d5315f4ee3d

I don't think any manual will show you what this , and also it covers a lot of the HDV stuff. Something that you have to spend time reading about, that doesn't come from the manual . You are paying for someone's experience
David, thanks. I know what the settings do. I used Imatest MTF50 imaging software to measure XH-A1 and HV10 resolutions. I helped Steven Dempsey come up with the popular Vivid RGB color preset.

That doesn't change the fact that Canon uses more ink to describe the design of a polarized two prong plug.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM   #14
Go Cycle

I tend to agree. The Elite video spent too much time in regards to the outside buttons and switches.

Mr. Spotted Eagle's DVD goes into great depth about the menus etc. and is money well spent for learning this remarkable camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Park View Post
I bought a competing DVD called "Canon XHA1 Made Easy" from Elite Video, and wasn't terribly impressed - just a dry walkthrough of your settings, with no real-world examples of use. Perhaps I'll check out the one you're referring to.

cheers, d.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders