Which Would Be Better? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:06 AM   #16
Major Player

- Film processing involves conversion to a digital intermediate whose resolution is the same as the resolution of high end digital cameras today, which means better film will not lead to a better result in the end.

- Better film isn't going to happen without major changes e.g. moving to 70mm film format, replacing current film cameras with new ones, etc. Unfortunately for film, if we're going to change the equipment, we might as well go digital!
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seun Osewa View Post
- Film processing involves conversion to a digital intermediate whose resolution is the same as the resolution of high end digital cameras today, which means better film will not lead to a better result in the end.

- Better film isn't going to happen without major changes e.g. moving to 70mm film format, replacing current film cameras with new ones, etc. Unfortunately for film, if we're going to change the equipment, we might as well go digital!
First of all, this thread is out of hand, but that's what boards are for right?

Seun, you're essentially saying that shooting on the best high end digital camera has the same look as shooting on film and going DI. That's some serious crazy talk. To anyone with a critical eye, the difference is night and day.

Try telling Kodak their film isn't getting better. The fact is, it is. They're pouring more money into making better quality celluloid today more than ever.

Find this quote by Nestor Rodriguez (senior principal scientist for Kodak)
"A single frame of color film scanned at 4K by 3K resolution with 10-bit depth contains about 50 megabytes of data. However, there is actually a lot more information than that on each frame of 35mm film. We have conducted tests where we have scanned film at 6K by 4K resolution at 10-bit depth, resulting in about 100 megabytes of data, or twice as much image information. In comparison, a typical CCD or CMOS RGB 3- sensor 1920 by 1080 electronic camera with 10-bit depth records 8 megabytes per frame, assuming that there is no sub-sampling or data compression. A single CFA sensor 4096 by 2048 camera records about 10 megabytes of data. So the simple answer is that today's best film technology enables you to record 5 to 10 times more picture information on a single frame than the best contemporary digital cameras."

We need more affordable DI.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #18
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
I am about to get money for the holidays (thats my only income being I'm 15)
and i would like to know your guys opinion on what would be a better buy.
I can get a geardear mattebox kit, with french flags, sidewings, and a rod system for $628, or i can get a
http://www.cinetactics.com/Page.bok?template=c_mb125h
with a
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html
I'm planning on shooting a movie soon, script and all and I already have some mics (drum mics though) that i figured i might just be able to set up around the room and into my mackie than camera.
What do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know if the rods are needed for an A1 from geardear?

To anyone still reading this thread. Check out our low cost high quality 4x4 filters. They are all the essential filters for HDV recording. They work great with any 4x4 matte box.

There is also a great video that I will send to anyone who asks for it describing why you need these filters and the difference between doing the effect in camera versus in post.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm....aspx?CID=1431

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders