DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Some stills (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/109821-some-stills.html)

Brandon Freeman December 9th, 2007 12:29 AM

Some stills

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some stills from my XH-A1 on my latest project. Only thing that was tweaked in post was levels -- I crunched the blacks a bit in Vegas' Pro 32-bit color mode. Gamma and colors are as they were in camera. Cropped from 16:9 to 2.35:1 (scope aspect ratio).

Oleg Kalyan December 9th, 2007 03:14 AM

Looks great, post some footage!

Seun Osewa December 9th, 2007 07:05 AM

Why would you want to make your movie wider than a widescreen tv??

Mathieu Ghekiere December 9th, 2007 09:25 AM

I think they look a bit too saturated, which screams 'video'.
Shots on itself are pretty nice.

Brandon Freeman December 9th, 2007 11:07 AM

Thanks!

As far as the saturation, I figure overshoot the saturation, and tone it down if I need to. But, because it's a comic book type deal, I kind of want the oversaturation, as well. Gives it that "comic-y" feel.

As far as "being wider than widescreen", I like to cut my short films as if they first go to the theater, just because I like it. :) Plus, it hides some reflections in this case.

Oh, and when it's finished (this week or next), I'll post it to be certain.

Seun Osewa December 10th, 2007 02:15 AM

Quote:

I think they look a bit too saturated, which screams 'video'.
And what's wrong with video? Star Wars 3 was video too.

Quote:

Shots on itself are pretty nice.
And that is all that matters. Art is all about creating beautiful things.

Carl Middleton December 10th, 2007 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seun Osewa (Post 790000)
Art is all about creating beautiful things.

Or intentionally ugly things. Depends on the artist. :D

C

Seun Osewa December 10th, 2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Or intentionally ugly things. Depends on the artist.
Art is by definition "(1) beautiful, (2) appealing, or (3)of more than ordinary significance." You're 33% right, I guess.

Steven Dempsey December 10th, 2007 11:07 PM

The point is that those who think ugly things are art see them as things of beauty. David Lynch is a good case in point.

There's a reason why the cliche "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" holds up so well.

Lecture over. We hope you have enjoyed this presentation. Remember kids, drink Ovaltine.

Seun Osewa December 11th, 2007 01:30 AM

Quote:

The point is that those who think ugly things are art see them as things of beauty.
My brain has just exploded. Thanks a million!

Bryan Wilkat December 13th, 2007 10:42 AM

i disagree that comment about how too much saturation looks like video. film has evolved over the years to give better colors and more saturated colors, more contrast and detail, etc... if anything makes video look like video, its the fact that it IS video. one of the biggest differences between the two other than frame speed is that with film, each negative is exposed slightly different than the next, which is why the image quality appears the way it does. video is too perfect in the sense that if you have a static shot with no motion, each frame will be exactly like the one before it, cause it's digital replication. (source: my film/video class material).

Brandon Freeman December 13th, 2007 11:31 AM

Just an update, due to NTSC lame-o standards, I did have to lower the saturation by about 30% in order to keep the colors from blowing out on DVD.

Still, even though on the computer the reduced colors don't look as cool, on a standard CRT television, the colors still blow my mind. It turned out really well, and I will post a non-NTSC friendly version here soon.

Alessandro Nucci December 15th, 2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Freeman (Post 789538)
Here's some stills from my XH-A1 on my latest project. Only thing that was tweaked in post was levels -- I crunched the blacks a bit in Vegas' Pro 32-bit color mode. Gamma and colors are as they were in camera. Cropped from 16:9 to 2.35:1 (scope aspect ratio).

Really nice grabs... can you tell us the custom preset settings for this project?

Thanks
Alex

Alessandro Garabaghi December 15th, 2007 12:14 PM

ha u have my name =)