DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HDF and DHV settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/110447-hdf-dhv-settings.html)

Lev Naumov December 17th, 2007 01:20 PM

HDF and DHV settings

Sorry for interrupting you again, but I appreciate for your help. I'm trying to make a presets for my needs and can one tell me, when I better have to change HDF and DHV? I read, what is told in Canon's "Full control", but there are just common words about proportion of H- and V-details. How it really works and what is it doing? Please, share you experience, when have you changed these settings?

Pavel Sedlak December 17th, 2007 05:05 PM

re

try this two:

(the best for me)
SHP-3
HDF M
DHV 0

(more sharp)
SHP-1
HDF L
DHV 4

Lev Naumov December 17th, 2007 05:13 PM

Thank you, I have seen a lot of successful examples, but I want to learn the background here, how it works and when I need to tune this. For example, I think, I need to tune when I'm shooting thorny fir or, lets say, eyelashes with a big zoom. When I have to tune it in less specific conditions? And what do I achieve if I'm changing these values in this or that manner?

Pavel Sedlak December 17th, 2007 05:25 PM

Re

2 Attachment(s)
This is my experience only.

first I use with gama2, gain+12dB (with less details is noise less visible)
second I use with gama normal (and gain +6dB only).

see attachments (specially glass parts of the light, noise).

Try both setting...

Lev Naumov December 17th, 2007 07:25 PM

I got tangled a bit

You mean, first is shot with HDF M, DHV 0 and second - with HDF L, DHV 4? First of all, what do you mean "with less details less noise is visible"? Did you mean with lesser DHV less noise is visible? I do not think so, because DHV is just a ratio, not the absolute measure (nevertheless, probably you mean that).

Did you mean with lesser HDF less noise is visible? This contradict with the fact, that lesser HDF makes picture sharper (doesn't it?) => more noise visible.

Secondly, in my opinion, first picture is much more noisy than second one, despite of the fact that it is dimer. This is quite logical, but didn't you expect me to come to opposite conclusion, posting this?

Pavel Sedlak December 18th, 2007 05:08 AM

Re

Sorry for my bad english .-) .

Pictures have names - you can see, that more noise is with "L" (low), lesser with "M" (middle) setting of DHV (and result is diffrent from setting sharp..).

Try some adjustment (BLK M, PED -3, NR 0+0 , color you like) and than try both setting:

- gama normal + L + 4
- gama 2 + M + 0

On good CRT monitor you will see, that there is some different results. I can't help you more (can't tell you more .-) ), you must try this and you will see...

Result with gama2 +12dB have more brightness with the same noise as normal gama with +6dB (try both DHV M and L). It is experience, I use it.

Lev Naumov December 18th, 2007 04:00 PM

Thank you, Pavel, for the recommendations.
Can any one else explain, what are the meanings of HDF and DHV values?