XH A1 capture on new workstation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Wouldn't recommend it though.
Never been up to sixty, but worked (perfectly) on workstations with about 30 FireWire drives connected... (messy cable clutter though...)

Anyhow, Like I said, the basic iMac in combination with will do perfectly for documentary editing and an occasionally color correction.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Either that's a typo or you have incorrect info. The data rate of HDV is the same as DV... 25Mbps. That's mega bits... not bytes :)

Bill
Correct for HDV, but intermediate HD codecs used in HDV editing bloat the data almost threefold. For that reason I would not use external Firewire 400 drives for capture. For backup, yes.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #18
New Boot

Chris --

Here's a list of what I've got:

Pentium CORE 2 DUO 2.66 Ghz 4MB 65W 775/800 1333 MHz FSB

4 gig – DDR 2 800 RAM

Quadro FX 570 w/256 MB

Asus

1 - 250 gb sata

2 – 500 GB SATA (RAID 0)

XP Pro SP2

Antec 900 case

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply

Can you now suggest software to put into it?
Andrew Dickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Whoa, that's a piece of kit............

and no mistake. Nothing you can't do with that.

Ball straight back to you on this one - that hardware will run just about any Windows app you want to throw at it - what do you want to do?

(Seems someone else has asked that Q in this thread already)

Not knowing what you shoot, with what, how often, for what purpose, for what end product etc etc etc I'm somewhat at a loss to suggest anything. Add to that you're experience level, previously used apps etc and the field is wide open.

You could ask that question (well, you have, actually) of the whole of DVinfo and get a hundred differing opinions.

A stab in the dark?

A lot of people here rave about Vegas (can't comment, don't have it, haven't used it - am BTW, worst video editor in known Universe, so you're really getting a bum steer here!). Got to be worth a try.

Premier? Been suggested already (I have Elements 3, keeps biting me on the bum). It's big brother may be a tad more user friendly, can't say, seems to give users more issues than Vegas.

Stepping down, there's Ulead Video Studio (I have that too, and, so far, it's refrained from taking a chunk out of me, tried a couple of times tho').

And so on and so forth.

Bottom line - where do you want to go, and how much are you prepared to spend to get there?

Sorry if this hasn't been the most enlightening post in the thread.

CS

PS. Merry Christmas!
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders