Custom Preset Explanations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 20th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Custom Preset Explanations

I have had my A1 for around a month now and been tinkering with some f the settings and also downloaded the custom preset files which work great, but is there a good explanation of exactly what all the settings do? For example, coring, master pedestal and all the different colour matrix.
The amount of control that you have over the picture is amazing but also slightly bewildering.

Thanks

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Jonathan. This subject has been covered many times, so you will be able to find out more by doing a forum search. Just about everything is covered in a fair amount of detail, apart from the HDF and DHV settings which are still somewhat shrouded in mystery.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks Richard I will do a search.

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It's still a shame that Canon did do a very poor job in composing the manual, certainly for this matter. The XH A1 deserved a lot better than pages full of tables and cryptic information. Was this encourage the users to do a lot of experimenting before they were able to shoot their first real A1-movie? ;-)

Funny enough, on the canon commercial website http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/HD...mization.shtml there's a slighly better explanation than in the real manual.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Go Cycle

Actually, the main CANON brochure for the XH A-1 has a break down and explaination of the settings. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen View Post
It's still a shame that Canon did do a very poor job in composing the manual, certainly for this matter. The XH A1 deserved a lot better than pages full of tables and cryptic information. Was this encourage the users to do a lot of experimenting before they were able to shoot their first real A1-movie? ;-)

Funny enough, on the canon commercial website http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/HD...mization.shtml there's a slighly better explanation than in the real manual.
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Major Player

I actually downloaded the pdf of explainations from Canon and it was pretty useful. But it was info for the XL H1 not A1 which I know the definitions would be the same but it wouldn't have been hard to add the three pages to the A1 manual.
I understand that this is a 'Pro -ish' camera and yes the user should have a good understanding of video, but hey it's only three pages.

Hey if this is the only thing that slightly (not really at all) then I am a happy man. This camera is bloody great!

I have also received my underwater housing for it, already done a couple of dives... and it is awesome underwater too.

Will post some footage soon.

Thanks

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders