new camera issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
New Boot

new camera issues

New XH-A1 arrived today along with an Audio Technica AT897 mic, Libec LS-38(2A) tripod and a few accessories. Tom at Zotz Digital made me the best deal I could find out of all the online vendors, dvi sponsors and local dealers. This forum is a goldmine of information, so thanks to everyone here.

Overall I'm very happy with everything except the built-in mic on the camera, its loose and wabbles up and down. So now I'm wondering if I have to send it right off for repairs. Because that would really suck, I haven't even gotten used to the new camera smell.

Another thing is that the iris ring grinds very slightly in one place. I looked at two XH-A1's at an ABT store last month, one was a floor model and the other was refurbished. The iris ring on the refurb would grind much worse than mine, but the ring on the floor model was smooth like butter.

What do you guys think I shoud do about the mic and iris ring? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Paul Czapiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Mic is perfectly normal, see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110771

Iris ring is normal too. I can't find the thread right now but we've discussed it before.

Congrats on your new camera and thank you for buying from Zotz.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM   #3
New Boot

That link isn't working for me, says unspecified.

Its normal for the built in mic to be loose and make noise?
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Czapiga View Post
That link isn't working for me, says unspecified.

Its normal for the built in mic to be loose and make noise?
use the search function - I had the same concerns about the mike but it's nothing.

I started this year knowing very little but I've learned a huge about by reading and searching and searching again - put in the effort and you'll find the answers you need.
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5
New Boot

OK. My bad. Search, read, then ask. Just read one of the mic threads, and here I was feeling so special.

Thanks
Paul
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Major Player

I think it's pretty neat that Canon put a built-in shock mount on their mic. I've had my A1 for a couple of weeks. I'm finding that it pays to spend a lot of time playing with settings at home and with the camera hooked up to a monitor as well. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the built-in mic is fairly decent. Enjoy your camera!

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Major Player

I have also found out that the mic is half decent, main limitation is the location, it is only half-detachable... :-) If the cam had a limiter the audio would get B+.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders