Built-in mic seems loose? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM   #46
Wrangler

It is supposed to be "loose." See also this existing thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89691
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM   #47
Trustee

I was the first to note the observation about the mic.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...46&postcount=4

I am so PROUD! (it's still loose though...)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #48
Major Player

XH A1 stereo mic is getting loose

My on-board mic is about to pull out. Anyone know how to tighten this thing?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Mic

I glued mine back on.
Ryan
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #50
Major Player

Permanent glue like crazy glue? I wonder what Canon recommends? If you ever needed to service this thing, I suspect you'd never get it apart?
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #51
Major Player

Lordy! If it just wiggles a little, this is normal. Hope you didn't fall into the glue scenario.

If it's near dangling, then a trip to service is in order
Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #52
Major Player

Well, it does sound like I'm not the only one who is having this problem. There are, what appears to be screw holes on the bottom side but access would require a special tool or something because the lens is in the way. It's way looser than when I bought the camera. Not quite falling off yet. I'm surprized that there aren't other threads addressing this issue.

Not only that but, it's starting to ring of what my intial concerns are about these cameras. They aren't built to take much physical abuse. Too much delicate plastic. Just look at the battery compartment and the release lever.

regards
dm
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
They aren't built to take much physical abuse.
So don't physically abuse your $4000 camera? ;)

Good-natured kidding aside, there are lots of other threads about this; the mic is shockmounted to reduce camera and handling noise. If the mic is in fact getting looser with time as you suggest, then you might have a legitimate problem. However, I'd suggest not worrying about it too much unless the mic actually does fall off or something. Maybe it's just "settling in" to its natural state, who knows? I suspect that you might feel the need to fix this before it fails in a critical situation, but then if you're using a built-in mic for something critical, then you've probably got bigger problems to begin with.

Take all of the above for what it's worth. I may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about. :)
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #54
Major Player

yep, well, I really do take care of the camera. However, I have a lot of stuff jammed into my camera case. Headphones, shotgun mic, shock mount.....the list goes on. I suspect that the mic took some unintentional upward or downward pressure. It moves at least 1/4" up and down. Definitely getting loose.

On the subject of usage, I try not to use it for a lot of reasons. However, I just recorded something outdoors and there was just enough wind to create a problem with my outboard shotgun mic with windscreen. I don't have a zepplin or deadcat etc... as I don't shoot outside very often. Had to resort to the onboard mic. Definitely not my first choice but saved my bacon.

regards
dm
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #55
Tourist

I just got my XH A1 yesterday, and before I even shot with it, I noticed that the built-in mic was loose. It's now even making a noise like there is something loose inside it, I hear in the audio and when just lightly shaking the camera. I just wanted to make sure that this is what you guys are talking about. Is mine worse? Thanks.
Luke Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Mines loose also, it's just the way they are built. I think using a small screw driver (for glasses) you'll be able to tighten the screw on it. I haven't tried yet. I don't tend to use the on board mic, unless it's purely as a guide track.
Kathy Stannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #57
Obstreperous Rex

It is SUPPOSED to be loose. We've discussed this here many times. If it's NOT loose, there's something wrong. See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....40&postcount=7 for details. Do NOT try to tighten it. It's made that way for a reason.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #58
Wrangler

Hmmm. Sounds like someone needs to create a bit of persistent video or graphic image showing the "normal" range of motion of the built-in mic. Too many folks obsessing about it, and a fair number no doubt needlessly.
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Wobbly A1 Mic

Hi,

the built in Mic on my A1 is very wobbly, I expected it to move a little for shock absorbtion.. but mine seems to rattle away from the rubber or soft element inside. Anyone had the same problem? Is there any way to adjust it?

Thanks

Steve
Steven Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #60
Obstreperous Rex

Normal. Frequently asked. Merging w/several earlier threads.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders