Built-in mic seems loose? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 25th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Yeah, like I said I expected it to wiggle, but mine feels like it has a few mm of completely free movement between the hard surface of the mic and the plastic baffle inside. Which renders the shock absorbtion less than useless.
Steven Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #62
Obstreperous Rex

No way I know of to adjust it on your own... sounds like a trip to Canon factory service, sorry.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #63
Regular Crew

The first A1 I bought I sent back thinking it was faulty because of the mic I have since been told that it was made like that to try and dampen the handling effect so it is apparently not a fault but a deliberate design.
Hope this helps.
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #64
Wrangler

The design is similar to that used on the GL1 and GL2, evolved out of the design used on the original Canon A1 (a Hi8 camcorders) from long ago, and no doubt similar to that used on other camcorders and by other makers. Works well for most users, but it ain't sailor proof as we used to say.

Perhaps more appropriate to say that you don't like the design for your intended use of the camcorder rather than that it is a terrible bit of design. Many folks no doubt find it to be a perfectly acceptable bit of design with in the context of its purpose, and better than many alternatives.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #65
Tourist

Loose microphone at my A1

It seems as if I packed my to tight for travelling. Coming home i recognized a unfirm microphone. It doesn't seem to be brocken but it is loose. There is a gap of about 0.5 mm at the rubber piece between the microphone body an the hand grip. Did anyone suffer the same damage and fixed it on his own? Is this an Achilles' heel of this wonderful piece of technique?

Michael

edit:
Sorry, there are already threads about it, it's an Achilles' heel, I'm a newbee and my post should be moved in the "Mic Loose?" thread ;-)
Michael Scherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Your mic is supposed to be loose. It's a shock mount feature to reduce tape drive and camera operator noise. Please don't glue it back together as some people have done. That is the worst thing you can do. Just leave it be.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:58 PM   #67
Major Player

How much should it move down to up to be normal? My friend just picked it up out of my bag by the mic and its got me pretty scared. Why aren`t people more careful??? It moves down to up about 1/8th inch at the tip. Can someone else measure theirs to ease my mind?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:43 PM   #68
Regular Crew

When the mic is in it's normal position on my camera it is 1.28 in(32.7 mm) above the lens hood. This measurement is from the flat of the lens hood directly under the end of the mic to the flat black band on the bottom of the mic. when I lift the mic up with my finger it is 1.45 in(36.9 mm) above the lens hood. With these measurements we can see that the mic fluctuates 0.17 in(4.2 mm) or just over 1/8th of an inch.

NOTE: All these measurements were taken will a digital caliper.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM   #69
New Boot

Yeah my A1 is only a month old and the was loose right out the box. I was curious about this too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hmmmmm...
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #70
New Boot

Xh A1 Loose mic issue

Just got my A1. Silly question to anyone who knows the answer. My internal mic wiggles a little. It seems a little loose. Not firmly attached to camera body. Is this normal?
Michael Buonopane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #71
Regular Crew

100% normal...for the A-1.

Sould be viewed as a good thing. Reduces picking up camera noises during operation.

Jay
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #72
New Boot

mic issue

Thanks for the reply. That makes total sense. So glad I dont have to return it.
Canon confirmed that this is normal and part of the design...even for the G1
Michael Buonopane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #73
Tourist

Having same issue - any fixes besides sending back

Yes I know the mic should have some play cuz its on a rubber shock mount. BUT mine is drooping downwards, it doesn't just wiggle when I press on it - it's loose, like I can see the internal wires that connect the thing.

Anyone know how its mounted and a quick fix w/o Canons help? Doesn't look like anything except the wires are attaching the mic to the camera - weird!

Thanks, Jason
Jason Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #74
Tourist

Any fix for a loose mic?

PLEASE don't say its supposed to be loose, some of us are having issues other than some play cuz its on a rubber shock mount.

Mine is drooping downwards, it doesn't just wiggle when I press on it - it's loose, like I can see the internal wires that connect the thing - a good 1/4 inch gap!

Anyone know how its mounted and a quick fix w/o Canons help? Doesn't look like anything except the wires are attaching the mic to the camera - weird!

Thanks, Jason

Last edited by Jason Toth; December 20th, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
Jason Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #75
New Boot

Lose mike on A1

I solved the "problem" by wrapping a elastic rubber band in the slice between the mike and the housing. In this way it is still possibe to move the mike but it has no chance to rattle.
After this modification I have recorded some very loud noise ( pop concert ) and the ratling that I had before was gone. Now I have to solve the influence of the loud noise on the image. It seems that the image stabilisation is moving on the sound which is visible in the recording.
I hope my explanation is clear.

Gr.
Rene
Rene Brunken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders