DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Powering shotgun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/110898-powering-shotgun.html)

Nagisa Kodama December 24th, 2007 04:28 PM

Powering shotgun

I just recieved my ntg-2 for my a1. It functions, but I am at loss as to how to power it with a phantom.

Bryce Comer December 24th, 2007 04:34 PM

Hi Nagisa,
On the front of the XLR jack there is a switch at the very top just under the OIS on the lens. That will need to be switched to on. Not sure if you will need to take the battery out or not, i have heard you should to avoid any damage to the mic, yet others say it shouldn't matter. I haven't taken the chance and have only used this mic with a battery.

Good luck, & Merry Christmas.

Bryce

Alan Craig December 25th, 2007 02:43 AM

Nagisa the switch that Bryce is refering to is marked 48v you also have to go into the audio menu and set XLR to on. Hope this helps.

Alan

Nagisa Kodama December 25th, 2007 04:43 AM

thanks i found it.
also, when i plug my headphones in and listen to the audio, it sounds slightly like an echo. is this of something wrong with the mic, my headphones or something that just happens?

Daniel Park December 26th, 2007 04:08 AM

Nagisa, my first question would be "where are you?"

If you're inside (especially if you have plaster walls), then what you're hearing is probably just normal sound reverb coming off the walls. Try briefly taking your camera outside to see if you still hear it.

BTW, with the NTG-2, you have a choice. You can use phantom power using the aforementioned switch, or you can power the NTG-2 using the mic's own internal battery. It doesn't actually need phantom power.

cheers, d.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagisa Kodama (Post 797974)
thanks i found it.
also, when i plug my headphones in and listen to the audio, it sounds slightly like an echo. is this of something wrong with the mic, my headphones or something that just happens?

Petri Kaipiainen December 29th, 2007 01:30 PM

If you are shooting 24p or 25p, there is some delay while the camera processes the video, hence the "echo". Have not tested XH-A1, but some cameras do this.

Don Palomaki December 31st, 2007 08:19 AM

FWIW: Not sure about the NTG-2, but some shotgun mics do have somewhat better performance specifications (e.g., lower output impedance, higher SPL before excessive distortion) when using phantom power.

Mark Fry January 2nd, 2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 800397)
FWIW: Not sure about the NTG-2, but some shotgun mics do have somewhat better performance specifications (e.g., lower output impedance, higher SPL before excessive distortion) when using phantom power.

This is true with the NTG-2. Better sensitivity, sig-to-noise and (I think) frequency response with 48v phantom power. You probably won't notice most of the time.