Powering shotgun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Powering shotgun

I just recieved my ntg-2 for my a1. It functions, but I am at loss as to how to power it with a phantom.
Nagisa Kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Nagisa,
On the front of the XLR jack there is a switch at the very top just under the OIS on the lens. That will need to be switched to on. Not sure if you will need to take the battery out or not, i have heard you should to avoid any damage to the mic, yet others say it shouldn't matter. I haven't taken the chance and have only used this mic with a battery.

Good luck, & Merry Christmas.

Bryce
Bryce Comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Nagisa the switch that Bryce is refering to is marked 48v you also have to go into the audio menu and set XLR to on. Hope this helps.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks i found it.
also, when i plug my headphones in and listen to the audio, it sounds slightly like an echo. is this of something wrong with the mic, my headphones or something that just happens?
Nagisa Kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #5
New Boot

Nagisa, my first question would be "where are you?"

If you're inside (especially if you have plaster walls), then what you're hearing is probably just normal sound reverb coming off the walls. Try briefly taking your camera outside to see if you still hear it.

BTW, with the NTG-2, you have a choice. You can use phantom power using the aforementioned switch, or you can power the NTG-2 using the mic's own internal battery. It doesn't actually need phantom power.

cheers, d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagisa Kodama View Post
thanks i found it.
also, when i plug my headphones in and listen to the audio, it sounds slightly like an echo. is this of something wrong with the mic, my headphones or something that just happens?
Daniel Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Major Player

If you are shooting 24p or 25p, there is some delay while the camera processes the video, hence the "echo". Have not tested XH-A1, but some cameras do this.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Wrangler

FWIW: Not sure about the NTG-2, but some shotgun mics do have somewhat better performance specifications (e.g., lower output impedance, higher SPL before excessive distortion) when using phantom power.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
FWIW: Not sure about the NTG-2, but some shotgun mics do have somewhat better performance specifications (e.g., lower output impedance, higher SPL before excessive distortion) when using phantom power.
This is true with the NTG-2. Better sensitivity, sig-to-noise and (I think) frequency response with 48v phantom power. You probably won't notice most of the time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders