Matching my Canon A1 to a Sony FX7. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching my Canon A1 to a Sony FX7.

Is there a Preset that will match my XH-A1 to a Sony FX7.

What can I exspect when I try to match these two cameras? I do not have a FX7 but I plan to hire a guy that will use a FX7 as a 3rd camera at a wedding I am videotaping. Do they play well togather?

thanks

Jeff
Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you have any opportunity to get with the 3rd cam operatore and his FX7 and do some test shots under similar conditions as the wedding shoot will be in?

If so, take advantage of that opportunity. See how they work together before the shoot. Also try editing them together, see what your NLE can do in helping match them by using color correction or color match features. Don't wait until the day of the shoot to find this stuff out, if you have the chance to do it now.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Custom Presets are your friends

I don't believe that someone has posted a specific preset that would match the A1 to the FX7.

If you have an opportunity you should get together with the FX7 guy and try some practice shoots under conditions similar to those of the upcoming wedding. Thanks to the A1's awesome customization abilities I think you'll be able to match the two cameras without too much hardship. It took me about an hour to match an A1 with a DVX100b using two calibrated monitors.
Russ Motyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anybody?

Steve & Russ,

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can get the A1 together with the FX7 and try to match the two by using the picture control of the A1.

Does anybody have any experience in matching these two cameras? Any info would give me a heads-up on what to expect. A preset would be great!

Thanks
jeff
Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Fuchs View Post
Steve & Russ,

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can get the A1 together with the FX7 and try to match the two by using the picture control of the A1.

Does anybody have any experience in matching these two cameras? Any info would give me a heads-up on what to expect. A preset would be great!

Thanks
jeff
1. Download OnLocation trial from Adobe. http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/onlocation/

2. Get a couple of glasses of your favorite non-alcoholic beverage ready.

3. Turn off phones so you have 100% concentration.

4. Print out a color bar chart and post on a wall.

5. Light the room appropriately so white on color bars is 100 zebras with 0db gain on both cameras.

6. Hook up the Sony via firewire.

7. Mouse over each color bar and note the values from the Sony.... again, for each color.

8. Now hook up the A1 and repeat the process... but adjust the preset settings (hopefully you created a new one) until those values come as close to the Sony as possible. (Note that you will need to recheck those colors after adjusting one to make sure that they didn't shift.)

This is a tedious process and will require a good amount of time to do properly. THEN once done, shoot the same exact scene in different environments and check for consistency.

I matched my A1 to the Sony HC1 very very close. The presets I posted in the preset forum are NOT the current ones. I decided to not post or give out the presets because too many people don't want to spend time learning their camera and look for an easy way out. It took many hours and almost a full day of trials to get it exactly how I want.... good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders