DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Pelican 1450 or 1500 for XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/111220-pelican-1450-1500-xh-a1.html)

Jonathan Mark December 30th, 2007 09:08 AM

Pelican 1450 or 1500 for XH-A1

I have been looking all day for an answer for this question but with no luck. I want to put my XH A1 in the smallest possible hardcase (I´m going to bring it with me on a long bicycle trip). Has anyone tried to put in either the Pelican 1450 or 1500. I think only the camera and for example 2 batteries should fit perfect but I´m still not 100% sure. Any input?

Andrew Waite December 30th, 2007 04:35 PM

personally... get the 1500. i have two 1510s and they really are not that big. it's small enough to take on an airplane and store in an overhead compartment. my philosophy is always better to have more than not enough. with the 1510 you can fit the camera, 2 or 3 batteries, charger, and tapes while still having enough room between everything as to not put too much pressure on the peel and pluck foam causing it to tear out over time.

Jordan Orberg December 31st, 2007 09:51 AM

I agree with Andrew -- I purchased two 1510's for my A1's and they fit nicely and I can take them on a plane if need be. I'd go with that...

Bryce Comer December 31st, 2007 06:41 PM

I'd have to say go with the 1500. I bought one of these for my A1 & you won't fit too much else in there apart from a couple of batteries & maybe some filters. With the 1500, i also had to take the matte box off to get it to fit. If the 1450 is much smaller, i'm not even too sure you will fit the camera in at all.

Bryce

Jonathan Mark January 1st, 2008 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryce Comer (Post 800628)
I'd have to say go with the 1500. I bought one of these for my A1 & you won't fit too much else in there apart from a couple of batteries & maybe some filters. With the 1500, i also had to take the matte box off to get it to fit. If the 1450 is much smaller, i'm not even too sure you will fit the camera in at all.

Bryce

I think I will go with the 1500 then. You don´t have a photo of the A1 in the 1500 by any chance? :)

Andre Theelen January 1st, 2008 06:11 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Check out this link http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=45.

Even more info about cases for the A1 in these threads: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=1838566

Regards,

Andre.

Allan Black January 4th, 2008 12:55 AM

I just got a 1510. Started with a 1500, I wanted a small case for air travel, but found I had to detach the lens hood and park it alongside the A1. That didn't allow for much else later, maybe a WA lens and matte box.

Also I leave the hand strap on the A1, so dial side down closing the lid pushed the rig well down into the case, it couldn't have been a mm smaller. Not happy Jan.

I hadn't cut anything so the shop exchanged it for a 1510. Josh thanks for these pix of your 1510, very helpful.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=45

Josh, if you're there, some questions please. Did you purposely cut the foam well out around the A1 mic to give it room to move in the case?

How far down did you cut to? Any reason why you positioned the A1 that way in the case?

Have you flown with your 1510/A1 combo yet, any strife at checkin?
Thanks.

Kenneth Burgener January 4th, 2008 11:21 PM

Case For A1

I know this might sound strange, but I took my camera in to a Wall Mart and started to put it into different cases. I ended up in the sporting goods place and got a hard bright orange waterproof case for $8.00. I then went to a craft store and bought 5 dollars worth of green foam and packed the camera inside it. This will be the smallest case you can get.

Allan Black January 4th, 2008 11:56 PM

Arrrgh! now you tell me :)

Kenneth Burgener January 5th, 2008 12:57 PM

Send It Back

Sorry about being late, I am a new new new guy. Can you send the case back? Also I found out if you have a great new shinny case, it tends to become a target for thieves.

Garrett Low January 5th, 2008 03:35 PM

Hi Allan,

I would recommend keeping the Plican, I have the 1510 and feel that it is well worth the money. The cheap cases you can get (I do have one from Walmart to cary my mic, A/D converter and some other accessories) is not adequate protection for a $4000 camera, especially if you are going to be traveling with it. The Pelican has self normalizing pressure, water tight seals (a water proof case simply means the shell will not let water through but the seals are not necessarily water tight) and is much stronger that most other cases. You can drive a hummer over the 1510 and it will not crush.

An added bonus is that NASA sends their equipment up in thier space shuttles in Pelican cases.

Allan Black January 5th, 2008 05:19 PM

Garrett sorry I misled you, no way I'd stop with the 1510, it was just the size but it's the only game in town AFAIC.

Kenneth, you're right about shiny cases, the first 1500 was that orange, just as bad; another reason for exchanging it for a black 1510 which originally wasn't in stock.

Got a pair of combination locks with a cable loop to lock it to the furniture, trusting type aren't I. That and all cover insurance, this A1s getting more attention than my golf clubs.
Cheers.

Kellen Dengler January 5th, 2008 07:58 PM

I have the 1510 for my A1 and I love it. Right now I only have my camera in it, but I saved room for the wide angle lens once I get it since that's also very fragile.

Word from the wise, don't waste your money on the organizer pouch thing that goes into the lid. I bought that thinking it would be the perfect solution to holding batteries, tapes, etc. All it does is bulge the gear into the camera and put pressure onto it that can't be good.