Can I save as 59.94fps NTSC from PAL 50fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I save as 59.94fps NTSC from PAL 50fps

This may sound a silly question, but I've been doing a few tests on saving video for PC playback from my A1. When I save as a wmv and de-interlace to 25fps there's quite a jitter on pan shots. If I save as Double PAL 50fps this really helps although if you look closely there is still a little jitter. Now, if I save with the 59.94fps Double NTSC option, the playback is silky smooth.

Should I be doing this, my cameras the PAL version so shoots in 50i. How am I getting better results when saving as NTSC. Is there going to be any drawbacks.

I'm a little confused here.

Mark
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

No surprise, higher frame/field rate gives smoother look to motion. Remember how ghastly rapid pans look in a movie. Film avoids this by very judicious use of pans. Converting 24p to PAL or NTSC has better looking fast motion thanks to the faster field rate, and this improvement may outweigh any conversion artifacts introduced in the process. I'd say do what overall works best for you and your users/clients.

Note also that there is a wide variation in quality when viewing video on PC thanks to the many variables in PC configuration.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders