Another deck question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 9th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Another deck question...

Hello all. I greatly enjoy all the knowledge received at this forum...thanks to everyone!
that being said,

I know the tape brand question and deck questions have been beaten flat, but I have a couple new ones (i think).

(1) I know that the HV10 and HV20 are the only camcorders that can playback Canon's "F" format, but what if I just want to rew/fw? that shouldn't be a problem, right? (now that I think about it, I guess i wouldn't be able to capture without playback, right?)

(2) this may be obvious to most, I know it isn't a good idea to switch tape manufactures, but what about using a different manufacturer's camcorder as a deck? For example, I bought a little JVC GRDA30 for rew/fw (will be returning to get HV20). Is there a problem switching the tape back and forward between JVC and the H1?

(3) those of you that fw/rew your tapes before recording (to set the tension), do you do this in the camcorder you are recording with? or can you also use your secondary camcorder to set the tension, and then record with the primary?

thanks in advance
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Wrangler

Assuming the camcorders support the same record format, there should be no problem taking a tape recorded at standard speed (SP) on one camcorder to playback on a different machine, provided both are in alignment.

However, tapes recorded at the long play (LP) speed are problematic at best, and may not play well on a different machine, or event on the same machine a few years later if the alignment has drifted.

FWD/REW tape is a reasonable thing to go if you have the time, especially if the tape has sat for a long time, has been stored flat (not in a vertical position), or has been subject to wide variations in temperature and humidity since the last use. The action helps assure smooth tape feed and thus better tracking. Most users may not notice any obvious benefit.
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks for the reply...I will not be doing any LP recording. But with the fwd/rew before recording, do I need to do this in my A1, or can I do it with the cheapo?
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You can fw/rw a tape in any cheapo camcorder you like. Its not going to have any effect on anything.

As far as fw/rw for tape tension, most manufacturers are pretty good with QC and process these days so I really dont think its needed. I usually record bars for the first minute of tape and usually dont record on the last five or so. Usually the head and the foot of the tape are where a problem may occur
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How about this? $35

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Rewinder.html
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Dengler View Post
I also considered that, but I've heard wayyy too many horror stories about eaten tapes, so I just use the HV20 for rew/ff
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks View Post
I also considered that, but I've heard wayyy too many horror stories about eaten tapes, so I just use the HV20 for rew/ff
same here...i think im just going to wait until i can find an HV20 for a great price...they are down to $700 so far....
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Contributor

Or get an HV10 for less.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders